Brewer Fanatic

Anyone else pumped for the 33rd America's Cup?

ttsather

Years of litigation, and they're finally going to settle it on the water! (hopefully) And in ridiculous multi-hulls to boot!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_U6Cp5x-Sbr8/SYg33TQFFEI/AAAAAAAAHc8/72MUXeqeEEc/s400/bmwo01.jpg

Wooooo BMW Oracle! USA! USA!

. . . . *crickets*

That boat looks awesome!

Years ago, it was a pretty big deal when Dennis Connor and the Stars and Stripes and Buddy Melges were involved. ESPN devoted a lot of air time to those races. I think I could get into it again, particularly if it's in HD.

That boat looks awesome!

Years ago, it was a pretty big deal when Dennis Connor and the Stars and Stripes and Buddy Melges were involved. ESPN devoted a lot of air time to those races. I think I could get into it again, particularly if it's in HD.

Was this back in the 80's? I remember watching a lot of this back then..perhaps it was Ted Turner at the time.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Both Connor and Buddy Melges (A Wisconsinite, btw), were involved through the 80s and much of the 90s. There were regularly multiple American teams then, which hasn't been the case recently, the rarity of the present situation aside

I remember seeing a commercial for this on OLN years ago, even before the last one happened. I would have totally forgotten about it if not for this thread. I can't claim I care a whole lot about it but I'll probably watch a little anyway. Also, the cup is named after the first winning boat, not the country (although the boat was surely named after the country).

• 2 weeks later...
Well, several days into the match and no races have been sailed. Abandoned once for light wind and once for heavy wind. Such is life in February in Valencia. No idea how they're actually going to be able to set a decent windward leg over 20 miles.

Archived