Brewer Fanatic

Jim Edmonds

Jim Edmonds says he wants to make a comeback but wants 400 ABs (tough to get with the Cards). Am I the only one who thinks this makes perfect sense for the Crew, with Carlos ".246/.292/.346" Gomez in Center and Corey "please return to June 2008 form" Hart in right?

I think it is a forgone conclusion he will end up with the Cardinals if anywhere. Supposedly he stood up a recent Cardinals/LaRussa function and told the crowd he would play for free if the Cardinals gave him a chance and then when it became a reality that he could get a spring invite he said he would play for league minimum for them because he has to pay for his kids college, not that the players union would let a guy play for free anyway. To me that reads he wants to be Cardinal and would have to be overwhelmed (read paid well) to play elsewhere.

He's in no position to expect 400 AB's. 200 is more like it. We dealt for Gomez because we think he's ready to take a big leap forward. And Hart deserves one final shot as the everyday RF (while Gerut deserves to be the guy to expect the 400 AB's if it comes to that one way or another). I see no interest by us.

I agree TooLiveBrew, I'm really hoping that Gerut plays a big role this season, he has been very good a couple of different seasons in his career. If he plays anywhere close to his 08' season he will get a lot of Ab's. I also don't think Edmonds can really play CF at this point in his career.

I'd love to see a Gerut/Hart platoon, or at least "soft platoon," but my guess is Hart will get everyday PT and Gerut will get 3-5 ABs/week unless someone gets hurt. As far as Edmonds is concerned, I agree he's not our best option unless he's willing to play for cheap and accept a bench role.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Damon says he wants $13 million for 1/yr or he may retire, so I think we can cross him off the list. Count me in the pass on Jim Edmunds crowd. Loved him in his prime with the Angels, but that was a long time ago.

Wow, if that's true this guy must be a real wackjob. $13M for one year of Johnny Damon? Is he even worth half of that?

Anyway, I prefer Gerut to Edmonds for the 4th OF. He had an OPS above .800 in 2008 when he saw regular playing time and I thought he started to wake up towards the end of last season with the Brewers. I can't really comment on Gomez as I haven't even watched him play. I did just see a highlight video with him legging out a bunt that looked like it should've been an easy out, and even though it was just one snippet it got me pretty excited about his speed potential and how that dynamic could enhance the Brewer lineup.

$13M for one year of Johnny Damon? Is he even worth half of that?

According to FanGraphs, his 2009 production was worth roughly $13.6M. However, his home/road splits were drastic

Home: .279/.382/.533.915

Road: .284/.349/.446/.795

The road line isn't too shabby, but his value was definitely enhanced by Yankee Stadium. At this point his defense is average to below average at the corner spots, though I'm not sure he's going to be in RF for any real workload given his terrible arm. For a LF-only guy that'd be in his age-36 season, playing anywhere aside from with the Yankees would probably just not be anywhere close to $13M in value.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I just learned on good authority that the speculation on the JSOnline board is correct.
Works for me. Even though he didn't play last year, I think Edmonds has a higher probability of success than a guy like Trot Nixon did last year. Reed Johnson would work for me as well.

Archived