Brewer Fanatic

Matsuzaka to the Red Sox

RyDogg66

Has there been one of these Japanese 'exclusive rights bid' pitchers that has come over and actually been a success?

I believe Nomo was just a FA that came over and had success early on, mixed around a couple of no-hitters, but otherwise, most of the Japanese guys that came over have been nothing to speak of.

Quote:
I believe Nomo was just a FA that came over and had success early on, mixed around a couple of no-hitters, but otherwise, most of the Japanese guys that came over have been nothing to speak of.

Yeah, you're right, if you don't count Saito and Otsuka and Sasaki and Hasegawa. Those are 4 well-above average pitchers and none were considered anything on the level of Matsuzaka. It looks to me like about 14 veteran NPB pitchers have come over to America. Many were near the end of their careers or journeyman types anyway. And 5 of them have been excellent in MLB. Takatsu, Murakami and Yoshii also had good years. Even Irabu was good for a year.

I think you are underrating Japanese players. The sample size is small and there hasn't been a true ace to come over from Japan yet. However, I think Matsuzaka could be one. Ohka is another good pitcher from Japan, although he didn't play in NPB.

Quote:
How many of those were 'exclusive rights bid' players, which was the question that I asked?

Yeah, you asked that, but then you went on to say:

Quote:

which seemed to me to speak of Japanese pitchers in general.

Plus, how many exclusive rights guys have there even been? 4? 5? Even that many? It's too small of a sample to make broad judgments. My point is that just because Kwame Brown sucks, that doesn't stop you from taking LeBron James #1 in the draft.

which seemed to me to speak of Japanese pitchers in general.

Which is an incorrect assumption. I said that I wasn't sure if Nomo was a free agent or an 'exclusive bid' guy, and probably should have phrased that differently.

Plus, how many exclusive rights guys have there even been? 4? 5? Even that many?

That's exactly my question.

It's too small of a sample to make broad judgments.

Possibly, but at some point you have to have one that is successful to actually justify the absurd amounts spent just to talk to the guy. The two 'exclusive' guys that I'm absolutely aware of in Ishii and Irabu were both colossal disappointments after being billed as top of the line, can't miss pitchers. So far to the best of my knowledge, it's only been a huge waste of money for the teams 'lucky' enough to win the bidding.

Possibly, but at some point you have to have one that is successful to actually justify the absurd amounts spent just to talk to the guy. The two 'exclusive' guys that I'm absolutely aware of in Ishii and Irabu were both colossal disappointments after being billed as top of the line, can't miss pitchers. So far to the best of my knowledge, it's only been a huge waste of money for the teams 'lucky' enough to win the bidding.

I personally think it's a huge gamble and potentially stupid move to give the same money to any international player as you'd give to a top-flight MLB free agent. It's akin to promoting a stud AAA player, as some go on to be great MLB players while others are Kevin Barker, Billy Jor Robidoux etc. Japan is at least the safest international location or league to sign players from, as competition is pretty good, but you also pay way more that you'd likely pay for a Korean or Cuban player.

Archived