Brewer Fanatic

Eric Byrnes

I saw that Eric Byrnes will be released by the D-Backs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Diamondbacks-releasing-Eric-Byrnes?urn=mlb,213808

Anybody interested in him as a 4th OFer, maybe he could even supplant Gomez in CF if he is able to return to form. If he can even still play CF, it appears he's been a corner OF the past couple years. He seems to be a good clubhouse guy and definitely is a guy who will give it his all. I've always kind of liked him and I would suspect he would come relatively cheap. Or is he done?

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Brewers sign Byrnes to a minimum-salary or minor league deal. It would seem to fit into their Gerut/Kapler type pattern of aquisitions. Byrnes fits in nicely as a backup with Gerut. Byrnes will likely have a handful of cheap make-good deals to choose from, so he'll decide where he wants to go.

To spend money on outfield when we still have a tremendous need at SP, and limited funds would be a total waste IMO. I would call it the exact opposite of a must.

Gerut is a very competent #4 OF. And Byrnes is horrible, the guy hasn't OBP over .275 in the past two seasons. He was solid three seasons ago, he can't play CF anymore at a passable level, what exactly is there to like about this guy at this point? It isn't like he's young and due for a huge turnaround, he's in his mid-30s.

I'd rather give a shot to Heether or the Hurricane, at least those two have some upside left in their careers, and the great thing is they'll cost us $1 Million dollars less. That's a no brainer in my book.

To spend money on outfield when we still have a tremendous need at SP, and limited funds would be a total waste IMO. I would call it the exact opposite of a must.

Gerut is a very competent #4 OF. And Byrnes is horrible, the guy hasn't OBP over .275 in the past two seasons. He was solid three seasons ago, he can't play CF anymore at a passable level, what exactly is there to like about this guy at this point? It isn't like he's young and due for a huge turnaround, he's in his mid-30s.

I'd rather give a shot to Heether or the Hurricane, at least those two have some upside left in their careers, and the great thing is they'll cost us $1 Million dollars less. That's a no brainer in my book.

How will they cost less than Byrnes? Brewers could sign Byrnes and only be on the hook for the major league minimum. Brewers could use a veteran backup who hits righthanded.

Byrnes has bounced back from poor seasons before. He went from .665 in 05 to .795 in 06. He's had poor years but even in those years he still makes contact. I doubt he'll be in the lineup much. His value would be as a veteran PH that gets his bat on the ball, and an OF that could be used in double switches. Even in an off year he posted a 1.089 OPS vs. the Cardinals, a 1.108 OPS against the Cubs and a .900 OPS against the Astros. He struggled against the Dodgers and Giants and Brewers. I think he'd be a shrewd pickup.

Heether's got 3 options. He doesn't need to sit on a major league bench.

He looks like Pods before last season to me...except with more power...I think the injuries have slowed him down, but he's no different that kapler a couple years ago...and not a whole lot different than gerut...I think it's a worth a try...obviously, if it precludes the crew rom signing a pitcher, then I'm for it...but I don't think it's a waste at the price i mentioned earlier...if he sucks, cut him...not a huge deal..

I'd be willing to give him 1-1.5 million
Assuming he is released, whoever signs him will only be paying $400,000 of his contract, right?

If you want to make sure you get him before he is able to choose who he goes to, you could trade a bag of used balls for him and have Arizona pay everything except $450,000 and Arizona will still be better off.

Not sure if he is worth anything, but it wouldn't cost much to get a look.

Archived