Brewer Fanatic

Justin Speier

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Baltimore Sun said the O's offered Speier 3 years/$12 million, but that he's looking for more like $15 million over three years.

He's probably the one of the top 2-3 relievers out there, and someone may give him a chance to close.

Farnsworth got nearly $6 million/year last season, so I imagine someone desperate for help will pony up his asking price.

I second the Weathers motion. He had alot of success working ith Billy Castro last in Milwaukee.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I third the Weathers motion. Weathers was released by the Reds and had had recent stays with mixed results (mixed especially badly in NY with the Yankees & Steinbrenner) with Cleveland, NY, & Florida before Cincy. Bill Castro pretty much single-handedly turned that guy's career around. It'd be great to have him back -- kinda the senior role a la Burba & Helling, but with a lot more left in the tank.

Weathers wasn't released by the Reds MNBrew.

His contract ran out and he's a free agent.

Weathers is just the type guy the Brewers could use to stabilize the pen. He's a "seen it all, do it all" grizzled veteran with a rubber arm. He won't always get the job done but it won't be because he's weak between the ears.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I like Weathers too. Solid, dependable guy. 2 years at $2 million a year would seem reasonable (but who's reasonable in FA!). At his age, I think it could be done.

My only hesitation is that I believe he is a Type A free agent, so we'd have to cough up our 2nd round pick to get him. Still, if we offer arby to Graffy and Ohka we're getting some picks back, so it wouldn't hurt as much.

Archived