Brewer Fanatic

Mulder and Bedard?

As long as he can be ready to go around OD, I'd love to see the Brewers throw an incentive-laden deal at Bedard. However, I think just about every franchise with $5M guaranteed to spare is thinking the same thing.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Because anyone who looks past his ERA, at his peripheral stats realizes he is actually is a fairly solid mid 4s ERA type pitcher. You forget that before getting hit with a baseball last season his ERA was in the low 4s. And Scouts and GMs recognize that he played hurt last season.

For some reason you have this weird hatred of Bush, KC, that I can't quite understand. He's a solid #4 and 4 million is not bad at all for what he's likely to produce this next season.

if "upside" is what you'd be paying Garland for, I'd much rather see Bush, because I think he has a lot more of it, and for way cheaper, too.
Not much upside in Garland, true, but he has pitched 190+ innings in each of the past 8 seasons - every full season as a MLB starter. That kind of durability has value. He also pitched to an ERA around 4.00 in his only season in the NL (albeit in the NL West and weighted by his stint in LA). Garland is the definition of a league average innings-eater. If you can sign him to a 1-2 yr deal for 6-7 mil per it's a safe investment.

• 3 months later...
Why does anyone want Garland? I still don't get it.
Now do you get it? Garland's been a solid major league pitcher for nearly a decade, hasn't missed a start in 8 years, averaging over 200 innings, is 16 games over .500 and is still only 30. For a half million more than what the Brewers are paying Davis, SD got a bargain.

Now do you get it? Garland's been a solid major league pitcher for nearly a decade, hasn't missed a start in 8 years, averaging over 200 innings, is 16 games over .500 and is still only 30. For a half million more than what the Brewers are paying Davis, SD got a bargain.

I just knew someone would bring this back up.

Davis has pretty much just been unlucky so far this year. Garland pitches in a pitcher's paradise. Today he faced an anemic Brewers offense that can't hit off any team other than the Pirates (at least at PNC). Color me unimpressed.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I just knew someone would bring this back up.

Davis has pretty much just been unlucky so far this year. Garland pitches in a pitcher's paradise. Today he faced an anemic Brewers offense that can't hit off any team other than the Pirates (at least at PNC). Color me unimpressed.

Davis pitched in the same park 3 nights earlier against an anemic offense and allowed 5 ER, and 6 total on 8 hits in 4 innings. What's unlucky about a 2.15 WHIP? Are all singles the result of luck? Garland, in his previous start, allowed 1 run on 3 hits in 6 innings in Florida to the Marlins with 10 K's. Was that because of the opponent and the ballpark?

Verified Member
Davis pitched in the same park 3 nights earlier against an anemic offense and allowed 5 ER, and 6 total on 8 hits in 4 innings. What's unlucky about a 2.15 WHIP? Are all singles the result of luck?
That game was actually a prime example of what Invader was talking about. The 4-run 4th inning went like this: error (hard hit ball), walk (two "balls" were in the strikezone, one even moreso than one of the called strikes), soft groundball single, soft groundball single, fake bunt/bat pull back lucky chop single by the pitcher that went over Prince, ground out, classic Eckstein nub-shot bloop single, double play.

I don't remember the 5th inning, but Gameday says one of the two singles Davis gave up was a line drive.

Davis' outing against the Padres was extremely unlucky.

Another "lucky" night for Garland against a poor hitting team: 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R (useless ERA stat is now 1.71). My point isn't that Davis is horrible, just that Garland is clearly better and both were available at close to the same asking price. That won't be the case next winter.

Garland has been getting better results, but I'm guessing things will even out as the season progresses. Either way, the different between the two during this past off-season did not seem very great. Basically a coin flip and Melvin arguably picked the wrong side. I can't criticize him too much even if Garland ends up being the better pitcher at the end of the season..
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Verified Member
Actually Davis has been the better pitcher so far this season. Garland's FIP is 4.32 and xFIP is 4.53 while Davis is at 3.99 and 4.01. So no Garland is not clearly better.

Putting up a better FIP or xFIP doesn't mean someone is performing better.

Formerly AKA Pete

Pete you will never convince some that Doug Davis is simply not a very good pitcher. Everytime he gives up runs it is the defense or bad luck, there are a litany of excuses for every game he starts. If anything his luck has been too good given the turnstile of runners he allows or hard hit balls he gives up nor his uncanny ability to lull everyone in the stands and on the field to sleep while making sure to turn the game over to the bullpen shortly after the 6th innings starts, usually with guys on base.

Not to pick on you endaround but there are typically plent of posts saying not a bad game for Davis after a 5.3 inning 5 walk 4 hit 110 pitch effort that is all to common for him.

Archived