Brewer Fanatic

Question- Will Minnesota Re-Sign Joe Mauer Prior to Spring Training?

Word around Minnesota is that Mauer is being patient while the front office takes care of finalizing the puzzle pieces for 2010 before they get into serious negotiations. I've heard 7/150 being thrown around quite a bit, though i wonder if the Twins will blow this by making an ultimatum, or getting cold feet when dishing out a contract that large. Personally, i think 7/150 is about right and should Mauer stay healthy for atleast 5-6 years of that deal is probably a steal. Mauer is by far my favorite player in the bigs, though I wonder if all the "I'm from here, played my whole life here, plan to stay here" talk is just a smoke screen.

My prediction, Mauer signs 7/$155 around Valentine's Day

• 2 weeks later...

I think he'll sign but the timing will either be a week or two before Spring Training, or after the season. Mauer is extremely focused and has stated in the past that he doesn't like to get distracted about salary demands during the season.

That city would collapse if he didn't get resigned, and frankly it would cause me to die a little inside. I can't see the Yanks, Sox, etc claim another one.

Ooooh... i just started a thread on the main page before realizing this one had been updated. "Where there is smoke there is a fire?" - Would the CBS Affiliate really publish the details unless they had something very firm? This isn't bleacher report or some crappy media outlet reporting a signing

Ooooh... i just started a thread on the main page before realizing this one had been updated. "Where there is smoke there is a fire?" - Would the CBS Affiliate really publish the details unless they had something very firm? This isn't bleacher report or some crappy media outlet reporting a signing

Considering two other outlets have contradicted them, i would say yes. It seems they jumped the gun without really verifying the story. Not THAT uncommon with everybody trying to find the breaking story. A lot of places just don't double check, because if they do, someone else might break the story.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived