Brewer Fanatic

Gosh I'd love to have Nomar Garciaparra in LF.

RyDogg66

He's my favorite non-Brewer despite the fact that he hasnt been able to stay healthy. An article on ESPN.com says he'd be willing to take a 2 year deal for not "max money" if the situation were right (a young up and coming team) and that he has told the Cubs before he left that he was willing to play LF.

How would Nomar look in our batting order and in LF?

1. Weeks 2b

2. Hardy SS

3. Garciaparra LF

4. Fielder 1b

5. Hall CF

6. Hart RF

7. Koskie 3b

8. Miller C

Go ahead, tear that idea apart.

I don't think I would either, but he seems too fragile now to play anywhere other than first base. But I think even if he had a year like last year it would help out.

What about Nomar at 3rd base? Hall might already be headed to the OF.

We still are on the hook for Koskie, and he'll probably start at 3rd assuming he's healthy. But then what to do with Braun when he's ready to play at the MLB level.

Nomar is just an idea obviously, but I don't think it's really that crazy to consider it. If he could stay healthy in LF I wouldn't mind having him at all.

I proposed the exact same thing on page 6 of the $60 million dollar challenge thread, so I'm with you RyDogg. Garciaparra, injury problems or not, is a great hitter, and I'd love to see him in the Brewers lineup, even for only 120 games a year. Let him DH during interleague to try and prolong his seasonal health.

i'm absolutely for this one...Garciaparra is a great stick...and he would appease all the brewerfans that want a true "hitter"

I'd give him 3b, and move Hall to the Outfield...then let Braun play in AAA until Nomar gets hurt, and figure it out again in 2008

2 years 18 million sounds good to me...

Quote:
I believe we drafted him out of high school and he decided to go to Georgia Tech and then he got taken by Boston in the 1st round.

that would be true...that GT team was sick too...Jason Varitek...man, that stuff made my dad happy...

Quote:
I've heard Nomar tell the story, he said he had agreed to sign, then Mr Bando called back and offered $50,000 less....he says he never even called back, he figured if they'd have really wanted him, they'd have done the deal.

Somehow, I now dislike what Bando did to the team even more. Oh, what could've been.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

IF Nomar would agree to 3/20 Melvin would do it in the blink of an eye. So would two dozen other GM's, though. At least there's a possibility.

I agree with the sentiment in this thread that Garciaparra would be a nice fit for the Crew. Adding a bonifide .300 hitter is exactly what this team needs.

His .872 OPS in 2006 looks nice!!!!! His .907 career OPS is even better.

I especially like the points that he gives us flexibility of being able to place first for Prince to give him some days off, as well as a couple of infield spots.

I wouldn't be against 3 yrs 25 million for this kind of player. Cross your fingers and hope the injury problems are a thing of the past.

What is best yet, is that we don't have the long term committment that a Ramirez or someone equivalent would command and thus perhaps we can resign some of our great young talent.

Garciaparra could maybe then be the super-sub. Albeit an expensive one.

He could play 1B to give Prince days off, maybe an infield or outfield spot here and there. But still not have to play everyday therefore being a very quality pinch hitting option.

Of course if the Brewers were paying him 8-10 mil per season they should expect at least 400 at bats.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I bet Nomar ends up with the Yankees.

They need a decent guy in the field as well as with the bat. Plus, it would tweak the Red Sox to have Nomar hitting against them. Don't think Steinbrenner wouldn't like that.

I'd like him too. Just not sure at what price.

If we are going to sign a guy to be a super sub, how about someone like Mark DeRosa? I don't intend to hijack the thread, but he would come with less risk (less injury history), and should be had for much less money. I don't think he could play shortstop, but he can cover pretty much everywhere else if needed.

With Garciaparra's injury history, I have no interest in signing him as a super-sub. Moving him around the field would only increase his risk of missing more time IMO.

I really am only interested if he's willing to play LF, which it sounds as though he is.

Our problem is that the guys that would seem to be in our financial crosshairs -- Garciaparra, Drew -- for LF are proven performers (when healthy) who just had successful years. If Garciaparra were available for the price he got last year, then sure, go for him. These two guys have put up numbers in big markets before, so the 'can they handle the pressure' questions are moot.

I wish either guy (esp. Drew) would be in our reality, but the Crew just can't afford to gamble at $12-14 mil / yr.

Archived