Brewer Fanatic

Late night mess at NBC... Latest: Conan's new show (reply #250)

burnzy24

"NBC has prohibited me from hosting another show for 7 months. So tune in next week for The Andy Richter show, with his new sidekick Conan O'Brien!"

It'll be interesting to see how the next chapter unfolds for Co Co. I know he has a clause in his contract that reduces his payment from NBC by whatever he makes over the next 3 or so years from doing another talk show. I'm sure there's something in there saying his pay would have to be commensurate with his peers, but otherwise I'd get a gig on FOX for like a $1 a week. If the Brewers have to pay Bill Hall to play for the Red Sox, it would be pretty funny to basically see NBC pay O'Brien to compete against them on another network. But like I said, it's unlikely NBC made that mistake... right?

Gruber Lawffices

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NeedMoreFans wrote:

It's the one network that really hasn't had a true reality TV hit (The Apprentice really isn't much of a hit, not compared to DWTS, the Bachelor, Idol, Survivor, the Amazing Race). Other networks saved money by producing these shows, NBC chose to go with Leno during prime time, instead. Since Seinfeld ended, NBC has been in a steady decline, and it's had no answers. Yeah, they've had hit shows here and there, but they haven't been able to keep up with the other networks.

I don't agree with this. First of all reality TV is not a relevant medium so that doesn't count for anything. Next, I give NBC credit for at least producing 30 Rock and the American version of the Office while both ABC and CBS have not produced any good shows at all over the last decade. Admittedly I don't watch a lot of TV so I might be missing something but I highly doubt it. My opinion is that all network TV landed in the trash can with the advent of reality TV but NBC has been slightly better than the other channels because at least they produced a couple funny shows that people can watch online without even having to own a TV set. I will say that Jay Leno is not funny and I will never watch his show, but Conan also wasn't a great fit for the Tonight Show.

Wow, no good shows from ABC or CBS over the past decade...I disagree

ABC:

LOST (best show on TV)

Modern Family (better than 30 Rock and The Office now)

Castle

Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, and Cougar Town (I don't watch but it seems like a lot of others do)

Scrubs has had a long run

I think it's too early to write off Flashforward and V as well

CBS:

The Big Bang Theory

How I Met Your Mother

NCIS

CSI

The Amazing Race and Survivor are the best of the reality world

NCIS is the highest rated show on TV, and it's on CBS. Desperate Housewives is also very high, and it's on ABC. Two and a Half Men is the highest rated sitcom, and it's on CBS.

Even if you think reality TV is not really TV (and I'm one who much prefers scripted TV, especially sitcoms), it's been here and is here to stay. Look how well Survivor has done over the years. Dancing with the Stars is one of the highest rated TV shows as well. I did omit the Biggest Loser, which is on NBC....but they are still trailing in the ratings big time.

ABC:

LOST (best show on TV)

Castle

Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, and Cougar Town (I don't watch but it seems like a lot of others do)

CBS:

The Big Bang Theory

How I Met Your Mother

NCIS

CSI

Scrubs actually started on NBC.

Because I like wasting time, I pulled up last season's schedule and grabbed some numbers for what I felt were each night's "flagship" shows, so lots of lesser shows are left off this list. These are average viewers in millions over the course of the season. It's pretty clear that NBC gets slaughtered. Heck, I was surprised that on Monday nights, Medium was higher rated than Heroes or Chuck, and it took off for CBS this season. 

Sunday:

The Amazing Race | CBS | 10.28
Cold Case | CBS | 12.00
Desperate Housewives | ABC | 15.6
The Simpsons | FOX | 7.7

Monday: 

Chuck | NBC | 7.36
Heroes | NBC | 7.6
Medium | NBC | 8.5
How I Met Your Mother | CBS | 9.4
Two and a Half Men | CBS | 15.1
The Big Bang Theory | CBS | 10.1
CSI Miami | CBS | 14.22
The Bachelor | ABC | 10.4
Boston Legal | ABC | 9.6
24 | FOX | 12.62
Fringe | FOX | 9.96

Tuesday:

The Biggest Loser | NBC | 9.5
Law & Order: SVU| NBC | 10.3
NCIS | CBS | 17.79
The Mentalist | CBS | 14.47
Lost | ABC | 11.05
American Idol | FOX | 23.82
House | FOX | 12.0

Wednesday: 

Knight Rider | NBC | 6.1
Criminal Minds | CBS | 14.89
CSI NY | CBS | 13.03
Private Practice | ABC | 9.2
Bones | FOX | 10.74

Thursday:

The Office | NBC | 9.2
30 Rock | NBC | 7.5
ER | NBC | 10.3 
Survivor | CBS | 12.92
CSI | CBS | 19.03
Grey's Anatomy | ABC | 14.5

Granted, it's entirely personal opinion about what is or isn't a good show, but an opinion here or there hardly dictates which shows make money. 

And for the record, one of my favorite shows is Friday Night Lights, which is on NBC on Friday nights. Of course, it gets horrible ratings and it would be cancelled by now if it were for DirectTV stepping in to help with costs. 

I can't believe how (relatively) poorly The Office and especially 30 Rock do in the ratings. I guess probably because they're up against Grey's Anatomy.

I mean, more people watch Bones than The Office or 30 Rock? I would have never guessed that. The Office is a show everybody is always talking about. I've never heard anybody discuss Bones in my entire life.

It's really just not a good show. I tend to be pretty critical of network TV, but I can't say I find anything about Bones compelling or intriguing. I'm also shocked that Grey's Anatomy draws better than 30 Rock or The Office.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

So it looks like CBS is the #1 network followed by FOX then ABC and finally NBC.

NBC does well in one thing: Comedies. Obviously the Office has become a hit as has 30 Rock, and Parks & Rec. The thing that NBC fails at is dramas.

Thing I don't understand: How NBC/Universal can make really great shows for the USA Network and really crappy shows for NBC.
Agreed. I'm a big Burn Notice fan, and got hooked onto Royal Pains last summer, too. Not a huge fan of the new show, White Collar, though -- I was never really able to get into it.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Community Moderator
CBS consistently destroys the other networks in ratings because they attract an older audience, which watches more TV than younger people. However, a younger audience is more valuable for advertising money, so the ratings do not necessarily tell the whole story.

I dont understand the draw of the crime drama. CSI x3, Law and Order x3, NCIS x2, The Mentalist, Bones, Medium...they are all just the same recycled show. It is now wonder shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Dexter, etc, etc are so popular, people are desperate for something else - and it isnt reality television.

Psych is so full of pop culture references that Matt Vasgersian could even take some hints from it! I love the show, and love the characters. It's almost like watching a non-animated Scooby Doo in that the show isn't all that deep, but sure is fun eye-candy

Half the funny stuff is watching Shawn and Gus react nonverbaly to each other.

Agreed. The casting of the two of them is perfect. And it is well written for what it is. Burn Notice as well. The Macgyver like explanations of spy methodology, real or not, are fun to watch combined with cable budgeted action.

ABC:

LOST (best show on TV)

Castle

CBS:

The Big Bang Theory

How I Met Your Mother

NCIS

CSI

I agree that Lost was a good show for the first season or two but I lost interest after that as did many other people I know.

Admittedly I'm not a TV guy so maybe I should stop commenting on this thread after this. But I guess I don't agree with this idea of judging a network on ratings knowing that something as god aweful as American Idol was the #1 show several years running.

I haven't heard of half the shows you mention above much less seen them but the ones I have seen snippets of are bland at best (Scrubs, CSI) or incredibly lousy at worst (Grey's Anatomy and the Amazing Race). Are those supposed to be examples showing how we are supposed to judge a TV network in a positive light? Desperate Housewife? I am failing to see any value in that whatsoever.

Archived