Brewer Fanatic

Late night mess at NBC... Latest: Conan's new show (reply #250)

burnzy24
  • Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peavey, you can tell how much late night talk I watch. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I've actually been watching or DVRing both O'Brian and Leno over the past few days. However, I'm starting to become bored with it.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I find this thread interesting, but between it and the "streaming video will kill cable" thread elsewhere, I am realizing how little programming I watch regularly. Yet another un-American thing about me.

Sorry, carry on.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

One attraction of being a FOX affiliate is that stations have much more control over their programming than those affiliated with NBC, ABC, and CBS, and I think we'd find that many wouldn't want to give up another hour to the network.

Like statman said ("Hugh Grant interview"), O'Brien's a huge name & likely draw now. I just can't see his next show not drawing really strong numbers.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

One thing that's too bad is that next week's Tonight Show guests had to be canceled: President Obama, the queen, the pope, and Elvis.

Not sure how much it has been mentioned here but from what I have read all along Conan has done really well with the 18-49 demographic, often beating Letterman. Sure Leno brought in more overall viewership but a fair chunk of that was an older crowd that the advertisers aren't interested in. I believe that if Conan were to turn up at 11:30/10:30p CT on Fox after affiliates had a chance to run local news, Seinfeld, etc. that he would continue to pull in the young viewers. I don't quite get where the discussion of him going on at 11/10p came from. Letterman would probably pull in the most overall with Conan and Leno splitting the rest...Conan getting the younger viewers and Jay getting the retiree crowd.

It may sound bizarre but I agree with those who are equating this mess to Conan's Hugh Grant moment. This has done wonders for his future, as long as he can stay in the spotlight some over his break. Too bad that he has to lose his dream job because of it.

Here's my idea for Conan. Go to CBS and serve as permanent guest host for Letterman when he takes vacation (which is a lot). Letterman's new deal runs through 2012, at that point Conan takes over the Late Show as his own. Here's why this is a good idea:

- Letterman and Conan have similar comedic styles unlike the audience Conan inherited from Leno that went away when he took over the Tonight Show

- This would allow the Late Show to counter Leno's manic-like work schedule with new programming almost all year

- The transition would ensure a bump in Letterman's 18-35 numbers because of Conan and Conan's 35-55 numbers from Letterman leading to hopefully a solid ratings block in 2012

- Conan would be able to return to New York City, he's just not a LA guy

- Together Letterman and Conan's shared disdain for Leno could make for some of the most biting late night comedy we've seen

Obviously this isn't Conan's own show so that is a problem. But I know Letterman and Conan respect each other and dispite the growing admiration for Craig Ferguson he is not an heir to the Late Show. If people think Conan is a niche act Ferguson is a micro-niche act.

Interested in your thoughts.

i'm sure it won't happen, but it would be absolutely hilarious if, for whatever reason, Leno gets terrible ratings once he gets back to the Tonight Show.

i understand that Fox gets fine ratings for its Seinfeld reruns in the same timeslot, but that network has always felt like a baby brother against CBS, NBC and ABC, and having a strong late-night show would help to give it some legitimacy. i definitely don't see Conan beating Leno or Letterman in overall ratings, but he'd definitely win that 18-49 y/o demographic, which is just as important, if not more.

i understand that Fox gets fine ratings for its Seinfeld reruns in the same timeslot

Actually, FOX doesn't rerun Seinfeld. Local affiliates do. Syndicated programming is profitable because it cuts out having to give a share to a network.

And wow, the most odd Will Ferrell appearence ever... him dressed up as a even more hillbilly Ronnie Van Zandt belting 'Free Bird' with the Max Weinberg 7 backing him up along with Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top, Beck (?), and Conan on guitar.

I love it and I don't even like Free Bird.

Godspeed, Conan.

NBC has given up both Letterman and Conan for Leno. That's a lot of talent to give up for a guy who's best routine is reading newspaper headlines (I'm not a Leno fan, obviously...and never have been).

I think this whole thing has really brought NBC's overall problems to the forefront. It's the one network that really hasn't had a true reality TV hit (The Apprentice really isn't much of a hit, not compared to DWTS, the Bachelor, Idol, Survivor, the Amazing Race). Other networks saved money by producing these shows, NBC chose to go with Leno during prime time, instead. Since Seinfeld ended, NBC has been in a steady decline, and it's had no answers. Yeah, they've had hit shows here and there, but they haven't been able to keep up with the other networks.

It takes a staff of 200 to put on that show?

Last night was the first time I watched a Conan show in its entirety. The final jam was interesting, but Conan never did much for me and most likely won't notice his absence.

I love how Conan didn't even introduce the musical all-stars that were there. That was one heck of a jam session http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Conan held his own too, I had no idea he played guitar.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's sad to see Conan leave. He couldnt have had a better show last night. Looking in the future I wonder who will be Lenos replacement. I see Leno getting about 5 more years of the Tonight Show before he calls it quits for good.

Archived