Brewer Fanatic

Late night mess at NBC... Latest: Conan's new show (reply #250)

burnzy24
This isn't the fist time I've heard comments like this from people, so I'm led to think my TV watching habits are much different than the general population. Other than maybe House on FOX and Modern Family on ABC, NBC (The Office, Community, Chuck, 30 Rock, P&R, SNL) is the only network i ever watch.
Same here...only substitute Lost and Castle for Modern Family, and my hate-yet-still-watch relationship with "24" with House on Fox (plus Family Guy).

[sidenote: Glad to see that the early ratings on "Chuck" have been up from last season. It's my favorite show on TV.)

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'll definitely be tuning in tonight to heard Conan. Last night Leno made some pretty amusing comments about this whole situation as well.

Heh, it would be funny if this all turned out to be a huge ratings ploy, but NBC execs aren't clever enough to think of something like this.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I never understood the appeal of Jay Leno. His signature bit is reading typos of others. How absurd. I tried his primetime show once and couldn't stomach the banality. Couldn't give it more than 3 minutes.

I've been a been a longtime fan Conan on Late Night and an a relatively occasional viewer of the his on "The Tonight Show". Conan is absolutely making the right decision here. By walking away from "The Tonight Show" at 12:05 (a time not even "tonight" on the East Coast...), he preserves the show's legacy and his own. He's always been a class act and this is no different. I really hope he brings out Little Jay Leno tonight though.

NBC can't possibly have been this stupid though, right? By proposing a jumbling around of the time slots, they had to have wanted Conan to leave. I'm not sure what they're afraid of in letting Leno go. His viewers will die off and dissipate a lot sooner than Conan's.

I do not watch any late night show with great regularity, but I do enjoy a number of them when I find myself awake past 10:00 pm (CST). Since my father was a Tonight Show man, I tend to gravitate towards NBC. Here are some of my observations:

On Leno: He is "every man's" comic. His comedy is geared towards putting others down. His style is okay with me. At the end of the day, I don't want to think too hard about jokes. That's why "Headlines" works so beautifuly for me! Before the Jay Leno Show, the amount of NBC primetime programming that I watched in that time slot hovered above zero. Now, I watch the Jay Leno Show once a week. It's a shame that the 9:00 pm (CST) slot did not work out for him, because I still think that the Jay Leno Show is better than 90% of all television programs. That doesn't mean that it is a high-quality program, but it's better than most broadcast alternatives.

On Conan: He is the smartest comic on television. I would watch his show more often if he was not so easily amused by his own jokes! Conan haters (and fans) - you know what I mean. He spends too much times giggling to himself after he delivers a joke. He also acknowledges outcries from the audience far too often. Even though I like his brand of comedy, I get tired of these tangents. When he's on his game, there is no one funnier, but I can't stick with him for a full hour. That being said, I think that he is getting the short end of the stick.

On Fallon: I had very low expectations for his show. To his credit, he has met those expectations (and exceeded them in rare instances).

At least this forces NBC to make a decision, Jay or Conan. I have no doubt it will be Jay, unfortunately. On the bright side, Conan's show should be definitely worth watching from now on since he has nothing to loose anymore by holding back.

We can argue and express our opinions all we want on who is funnier (I am a Conan guy), but NBC really messed this one up. The idea of taking away 5 hours of primetime programming weekly to add another "late night type show" is idiotic.

Also, I heard a quote the other day though not entirely accurate since I guess Leno was pretty much forced into early retirement from the Tonight Show, that was something along the lines of "Leno is the Brett Farve of late night except less funny."

We can argue and express our opinions all we want on who is funnier (I am a Conan guy), but NBC really messed this one up. The idea of taking away 5 hours of primetime programming weekly to add another "late night type show" is idiotic.

Also, I heard a quote the other day though not entirely accurate since I guess Leno was pretty much forced into early retirement from the Tonight Show, that was something along the lines of "Leno is the Brett Farve of late night except less funny."

And like the Favre situation, what "really happened" changes depending on who you ask. Leno people are saying he was forced into retirement, and Conan people are saying that Leno started thinking about retirement years ago (when Conan had the Tonight Show clause written into his contract) only to get cold feet when the time came.

While I've never been one to watch Conan (I usually stick with Stewart and Colbert and call it a night from there), I think what NBC is doing is unfair. Like Conan said in his statement, you need time and ratings support when you start over, and he got neither. NBC tried to save money by having Leno do his show instead of spending money on five separate scripted shows, and while it was a good idea on paper, it didn't take long for the public to see through the plan and label the network as cheap (if the constant cracks at GE in 30 Rock weren't enough to hammer that one home). Local affiliates were really getting hammered in the nightly newscast ratings, too, which only cost them more money.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Does Jay Leno still repeat the same jokes every night, all week long?

Pretty much. Leno is my absolute least-favorite late night host. As someone else said, he must appeal to older people, maybe those who thought "Wild Hogs" was funny; it just seems like bad "dad humor" to me.

Exactly. Leno is like Favre and Conan is like Rodgers. Its feels the same.

Except Favre had some talent left.

Leno looks like a little kid out there
He just slings those jokes all over the place. I bet he'd tell 'em for free.

I'm a Conan guy, and I think he would be a great fit on either CC or Fox. I love Seinfeld, but I would think Conan at 10 central would be a better draw than the reruns that local affiliates air.

Conan's contract pays him $28 million a year (or so one of those early-evening TV tabloid shows told me) which is a pretty big chunk of change to walk away from.

Gruber Lawffices

There's an article out there that "corrected" O'Brien's salary. I believe it's a little under $15 million per year.

I don't see a 10 PM Central show being an option for FOX. Channels with news in that time slot (like Channel 6 in Milwaukee) aren't going to want to give that up. A 10 PM Central show would likely be a better fit for cable or first run syndication.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I really love Jay Leno and I hope he gets to host the Tonight Show again. NBC should give him a blank check and a lifetime contract.

I find Conan O'Brien to be an annoying and immature twit, and so I hope NBC kicks him out the door. The Tonight Show ratings have plummeted with Conan O'Brien, and I am not the least bit surprised.

I haven't seen Conan on the tonight show yet but it seems like what NBC is pulling with him is totally bogus. But I think his humor would be more well suited on Comedy Central or in some other venue anyway and he should just pursue that. I've always been baffled by Jay Leno. Leno has absolutely no sense of humor whatsoever. I mean I don't really like Letterman that much but at least I see some qualities in him and can understand why people like him. Leno has no redeeming qualities to speak of and his popularity is completely mind boggling especially for a guy who hosts a comedy show. What nbc is doing is garbage. Why didn't Leno retire anyway as planned? I haven't seen his new show yet either. I'm sure it's terrible though.

Archived