Brewer Fanatic

Late night mess at NBC... Latest: Conan's new show (reply #250)

burnzy24
  • Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved the new Conan show. I really like the set and the intro piece was hilarious, especially the Mad Men parody:

Conan: "I think I'd be a really great fit for your firm."

Don Draper: "No. Besides it's 1965 and you're 2 years old."

Conan: "You're really good looking." *runs away*

The jam with Jack White was great too. It's just good to have Conan back. Looking forward to many more shows.

Pretty funny stuff. The opening segment was hilarious ("Conan...we have 14 kids! You need to find a job!"), and Seth Rogen and Lea Michelle were pretty good first guests. Definitely going for the younger demographic. Good to see "the bear" make a hilarious cameo appearance as well.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I like Conan, but I think all of the promos made this sort of anti-climactic for me. He's a cutting edge guy with some of the best writers around, yet his show uses the exact same format as Leno, Letterman, Kimmel, Fallon, Lopez, and Ferguson (minus the band). With this fresh start I thought maybe he would try something a little bit different. I'll still tune in when I'm bored.

can't believe that Norm wasn't a first guest. the jam with Jack White was awesome, though. the whole show reminded me of what he was like on his late-night gig and a lot less hampered like he was on the Tonight Show. he didn't need to reinvent himself to be funny, so i'm glad he seems back to his usual self.

Community Moderator

I agree that Conan seemed back to his usual self from Late Night. The show will probably do well. Like he said, they named it "Conan" so it would be harder to find a replacement this time ;-)

Any guesses on how long the show lasts before Conan moves back to network TV? I'm sure CBS would love to have him take over for Letterman at some point...

Any guesses on how long the show lasts before Conan moves back to network TV? I'm sure CBS would love to have him take over for Letterman at some point...
I believe his contract with TBS is for five years. I really doubt he's going to be looking to move on before that.

Quite frankly in five years or so, network TV may be dead as we know it. With how he got burned by NBC, I could see him being a main stay at TBS for many years to come.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I missed the 1st show, but got my DVR recording them now. The second one was hilarious. The bit where he meets with TBS' sensor had me crying. Vintage Conan.

What sexual positions can I say on the air?...Takin grandma to Applebees? The Tokyo Sandblaster?

Conan gets the youngsters, which advertisers crave, but Leno is up 67% in total viewers from LY (when Conan was hosting) and looks like about a 3-2 edge in Conan's first week. Once the marketing dries up and the free media boost ends, I assume it will end up about 2-1, with a small lead in the 18-whatevers that sets the ad rates. Also be interesting to see where Kimmel, Dave, and Comedy Central ends up...I was shocked to see The Daily Show only got 1M viewers on Monday...I know it's on more than once, but that's less than CNN's minuscule numbers, which has led them to revamp their entire lineup.

Archived