Brewer Fanatic

Brewers on Deck January 31st

miggs721
Glad I got Braun last year at On Deck. I don't mind the personalized thing at all, but not to let people get a ball or 8x10 signed, that is kind of lame.
Then why did you ask how to take a personalization off of a ball?

DMiles - I plan on asking him next time I see him...I've got a bad feeling that people are going to complain and he will eventually sign the stuff...he did a signing in Mall of America this last fall at a Buckle store. You had to buy one of his shirts, and then got a free autograph. The first people in line could only get the mall's 4x6 photo signed, but then eventually, after everyone was complaining, he signed whatever. The same thing (sort of) happened at the Block party this last year, where he personalized for the ones in front, but didn't for those in back...I'm wondering though if that is worth the risk of getting in his line, but that is a big risk to take.

The whole thing just seems ridiculous, it would make sense if it said he will sign photocards, and everything else will be personalized, or it would make sense if he said no bats/jerseys...but the whole paying $40 (charity money) and not being able to bring your own photo, that just isn't right.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
utilityinfielder - where did you see that McCalvy article where it says Prince is doing the same thing? I'm trying to find it, but I can't seem to find what you are referring to? Is it in his blog?
It's right HERE. In the last question he answers. It says to "keep the line moving." None of the players had a problem getting through the 250 last year, except Braun. And the only reason he didn't was because he was personalizing.

Lets put the $40 for Braun's autograph in perspective. The last 2 weeks of completed auctions of Mikita from ebay yield...

Braun autographed baseball with #8... $42 and $43.51 (plus $8 s/h)

Braun autographed 2008 AS ball....49.99 and 50.99 (plus $8 s/h)

Braun autographed 8x10 ...no bids at 39.99 (plus $8 s/h)

And these come with the Mikita certificate.

The fact Prince too is only doing 5x7's definitely makes me glad I got Prince on an 8x10 at On Deck last year. Prince did the 8x10 and Weeks sweet spotted a baseball. I could understand if this were a free event like the Block Party or another team sponsored event, but considering this is a paid event for charity it is pretty disappointing.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

You can always send Braun and Prince an 8 x 10 through the mail. I did it 2 years ago, got them back quickly, and paid nothing other than shipping and the cost of the photos...

Just sayin'...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

between this and the overall popularity of the brewers, it's getting harder for me to be interested in collecting autos. I'm glad I got all these guys when they first came up, multiple times, on multiple various items, mostly team balls, individual balls, and a team bat. Last year I only attended one auto Friday, to get Hoffman.

This year I plan on going to a few fridays, and might even try to hit up the lot over spring break while players are still willing to sign. But I think my days of chasing Braun and Fielder are over. Unless it's at some paid signing. I'll still enjoy just going for prospects, for the notion of saying "i got them before he hit _____hrs a season" or whatever.

Here's the deal folks...

I am completely fine with them Braun only signing the photo cards and here is why; If Braun is constantly signing everything and anything, the value and coolness factor of that sig on items goes waaaaaaay down. If Braun's auto is easily attainable, Mikita wont sell nearly as much stuff. This is easily in his contract. I dont have a problem with it at all. And no offense, but it seems like the people that are complaining the most, already have about 5-20 things signed by Braun already.

For the people saying "this is charity, shame shame". You are WRONG. Braun will still sign 250 photo cards and the charity will still get the full amount. There will still be a huge line for Braun. Settle down.

I am completely fine with them Braun only signing the photo cards and here is why; If Braun is constantly signing everything and anything, the value and coolness factor of that sig on items goes waaaaaaay down.
I can understand where you're coming from. But Braun is not constantly signing everything and anything. The Brewers ask him to sign 4 times per year (2 auto Fridays, 1 Block Party, and On Deck). That's what? 60+60+100+250=470 signatures per season. 470 signatures per year is hardly "signing everything and anything." And for the people that want a non-personalized autograph, they have to go through Mikita anyways.

Edit: If Braun doesn't want to sign memorabilia at this event, then maybe he should actually promote Mikita. I'm sure 99.9% of Brewer fans who may be interested in his autograph have no idea about his contract. I'm not sure if the Brewers would allow this, but what he should do is say "$25 gets you a personalized autographed picture card. If you would like something else signed, I am under contract with Mikita and am not allowed to sign other things. But, I will be willing to take $25 of your purchase at Mikita and donate that to the Brewers Charity." He could give that option to the first 250 people.

I talked to Bob, and he told me that this has nothing to do with him...it is the Brewers. I believe that because he has always been honest with me. He said that he hadn't even heard about that, which leads me to think that the Brewers are doing it to "keep the lines moving" which is what McCalvy said...

I can understand where you're coming from. But Braun is not constantly signing everything and anything. The Brewers ask him to sign 4 times per year (2 auto Fridays, 1 Block Party, and On Deck). That's what? 60+60+100+250=470 signatures per season. 470 signatures per year is hardly "signing everything and anything." And for the people that want a non-personalized autograph, they have to go through Mikita anyways.

Think of it though, over the course of just 1 year, how many times Braun is asked for his auto and gives it for free. Arriving at the ballpark, at the ballpark, leaving the ballpark, arriving to the hotel, at the hotel, leaving the hotel, at the airport...the list goes on and on and on.

Think of it though, over the course of just 1 year, how many times Braun is asked for his auto and gives it for free. Arriving at the ballpark, at the ballpark, leaving the ballpark, arriving to the hotel, at the hotel, leaving the hotel, at the airport...the list goes on and on and on.

I realize that... and does he have to sign autographs at those times? No. But this is a Brewers team event. They ask him to sign 4 times per year! I have not beef with players that don't sign autographs all those other times. That's their personal time. But these are Brewers team events. The BREWERS ask him to sign 470 autographs per year. That is not many.

I realize that... and does he have to sign autographs at those times? No. But this is a Brewers team event. They ask him to sign 4 times per year! I have not beef with players that don't sign autographs all those other times. That's their personal time. But these are Brewers team events. The BREWERS ask him to sign 470 autographs per year. That is not many.
And now the BREWERS are asking him and Fielder to only sign photo cards to keep the lines moving.

This is just beating a dead horse, they are major league baseball players and they will be asked everywhere they go...that is part of being a famous person. But like Dmiles said, this is a Brewers event, this isn't the Westin in New York.

And now the BREWERS are asking him and Fielder to only sign photo cards to keep the lines moving.

And that's fine. But I started arguing this going from your original post saying: "I am completely fine with them Braun only signing the photo cards and

here is why; If Braun is constantly signing everything and anything,

the value and coolness factor of that sig on items goes waaaaaaay down.

If Braun's auto is easily attainable, Mikita wont sell nearly as much

stuff." You are saying it's Braun's/Mikita's choice on what he gets to sign. The Brewers ask him to sign 470 autographs per year, and he should sign however the Brewers ask him to. So yes, the Brewers ask him to sign cards, fine. I'm fine with that. But if it was Braun's decision, like you said in your original post, that's wrong.

At some point, when you have a certain players signature 10-15-20 times, don't you just have to say I'm done? How many does a guy really need? I realize it is practically an obsession for some, and in all honesty, I think it is cool to have sigs of your favorite players, but man, at some point, ya just have to leave it alone.

No offense intended to anyone who collects autographs, to each his own.

Also, I can't feel sorry for a guy making millions and millions of dollars to play a game, getting asked to sign autographs. I'm sure it gets severely tiring, and irritating, but that is the price you pay for fame. If you can't live with that, then I just can't feel bad for these guys.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived