Brewer Fanatic

Would the Yanks want D-Davis?

This idea comes from Gotham Baseball, a site devoted to the Yanks and Mets.

"According to others, however, the Yankees are "very much in the market for another veteran starter, likely a left-hander". If this is the case, wouldn't it be interesting to discuss which one would make the most sense?

Not if it's based on fantasy, said one AL scout.:

"The Yankees may think about Ted Lilly, but they've been there, done that. The Yankees can't get Willis without Hughes, and Mark Mulder's health is a concern. Honestly, I see the Yankees going with kids and the guys they already have."

Here's the link: www.gothambaseball.com/ne...555838.php

Sounds like DD could work for NYY, but the only (granted major) problem for the Crew is who could they net? The article mentions Philip Hughes (NYY's top pitching prospect) is N/A. I don't think merely Melky Cabera is just compensation, but the notion that the Yanks want an established LHP, and the fact that Davis probably would've won 15 games with that lineup in 2006, is intriguing.

Thoughts?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

You wouldnt get all 3 of those players. I would settle for Melky Cabrera, he just turned 22. .280 BA rookie year, and he playes center. That way we could have Hall, Cabrera, Hart in the OF.

Pitching rotation:

1. Sheets

2. Capuano

3. Bush

4. (Trade for a pitcher)

5. Villanueva

With the current price for pitching, I would imagine most of the teams would want Davis. The question is, do they want them enough to offer a decent deal for him, and do the Brewers have enough arms to afford to move him.

I don't think the Brewers can afford to part with Davis, they don't have the depth yet. Depending on how things go for the Brewers, (and of course Davis' performance) I could imagine him being dealt midseason.

If the sole return was Cabrera, I'd be very disappointed. He hits like a CF but plays in left. Poor slugging percentage with little power.

He does have a great eye and good plate discipline, so that works to his advantage. As you said, he's 22 and could develop, but if the goal is to win next year, Cabrera shouldn't be anywhere in the lineup, unless he's in center. Is it that he CAN'T play center, or that the Yankees just don't play him there?

How is Lopez better than Davis?

Because the grass on the other side is always emerald green. His ERA this season was a full run worse than the bad year Davis had. Lopez had some bad luck, but his fip is still 4.99 compared to Davis 4.43. Both are in their final arbitration year, and Lopez has the huge edge in being almost an entire 3 months younger.

I think Doug Davis has more trade value that most here think he has.

Melky Cabrera would not be a good enough return. Also, his minor league stats don't suggest he will be much better. (I know there are exceptions, i.e. Bill Hall)

Doug Davis has been released twice and Lopez ?

Because a guy was released years ago that makes him worse despite his superior numbers? I don't get this reasoning.. please explain.

Wasn't Michael Jordan cut in HS? Under your same thinking, would you think Billy Barnburner was a better player because he made the team Jordan didn't.... even though it was years ago?

They both have poor stuff but Lopez can control his bad stuff better.

K/9, 2004-2006

Doug Davis - 7.57

Rod Lopez - 5.66

BB/9, 2004-2006

Doug Davis - 3.89

Rod Lopez - 2.78

K/BB, 2004-2006

Doug Davis - 1.95

Rod Lopez - 2.04

I'll give you control, but Davis definately better stuff. Looking at the ratio, they actually seem pretty similar. The difference between the two has been HR/9, which is somewhat odd as Lopez actually holds a slight edge in GB/FB ratio.

HR/9, 2004-2006

Doug Davis - 0.84

Rod Lopez - 1.28

With all that said, Davis has a considerable lead in FIP (expected ERA) over the last three years (~0.60).

Internally, New York has talked about the possibility of adding Dontrelle Willis. Could they flip Humberto Sanchez and Melky Cabrera to Florida? Would that be enough? Bill James projects Cabrera to hit .285/.351/.411 as a 22 year-old. On top of that, James's panel of experts ranked him as the fourth best defensive LF in the game. As for Sanchez, George King confirmed his availability. ZiPS projects a 4.42 ERA for him next year.

I just want to point out that one's stuff doesn't always lead to the ability to miss bats. Davis misses more bats by mixing up his stuff better than most pitchers.

And Davis being cut twice before means nothing to me. That just means two teams made poor personnel decisions by unwisely losing their patience with a good lefty arm. Davis was a pretty highly touted prospect in the Rangers system once upon a time.

Given the price starting pitchers are going for these days, I would be reluctant to move Davis unless the return package was pretty dang appealing. He may not have been as good last year as he was the previous two seasons, but he wasn't downright horrible either, and has been extremely durable during his stay with the Brewers.

And Davis being cut twice before means nothing to me. That just means two teams made poor personnel decisions by unwisely losing their patience with a good lefty arm.

I always find it to be a bad way to evaluate players as well. The inverse would be to say that Darren Dreifort, Denny Neagle, Mo Vaughn, and Mike Hampton were not long ago considered such great and valuable players that they were given deals exceeding the GDP of any nation in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Yeah, it means nothing but poor talent evaluation in many cases. We didn't give Mark Loretta much playing time because we had so many vastly-superior options.

Once upon a time, the Twins non-tendered a fella named David Ortiz to avoid paying him the $1.25M he would earn the next year. He seemed to do okay, putting up mediocre seasons with two OPS's above 1.000 and nothing lower than .961. Those same Twins also traded a junk prospect for a guy his old team didn't even find worthy of protecting in the rule 5 draft in Johan Santana.

To make a Wisconsin homer example, there was once a young QB dumped by the Falcons for a draft pick because he didn't fit into their long-term plans. Some Brett Favor guy.

Teams make stupid decisions and some players bloom later in their careers than others. All that matters is recent performance and current ability.

Look, I don't want to dump Davis for the sake of dumping Davis. I really feel that moving him is beneficial to the team. With pitching, and especially LHPing at a premium, the Brewers can offer a relatively inexpensive (enhancing his value even more) LHP who has proven his durability. If there is nothing out there in terms of an OF or other kind of big-ish bat, let's keep Davis. I have no illusions that Davis will bring us the kind of bat that so many on this site beg for.

However, I do think that Davis is worth a nice, solid & dependable bat to iron out some of the wrinkles of the 2007 Brewers. If we can move Mench & Clark & Jenks for some reliable SPs, then the Davis move becomes super nice. Obviously I am not endorsing a Doug Davis cut-and-run policy; I just feel that he's a great puzzle piece to establish the Brewers of the future -- the Playoff push years

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote:
Internally, New York has talked about the possibility of adding Dontrelle Willis. Could they flip Humberto Sanchez and Melky Cabrera to Florida?

We were all talking about Dontrelle Willis on this board back in May/June when our rotation was in shambles and we were wondering what the Crew would have to give up to get Dontrelle Willis.

I recall most of the posters were saying like Inman or more probably Yo would have to be on the top of the list of young names that would also have to include a mix of Eveland/Jackson, and maybe a Hardy or Hall.

If the Yankees only had to send those two players (Melky Cabrera and the newly aquired Sanchez) to Florida for Willis, I will be greatly surprised and disappointed that those two players were all that was needed to get it done and the Crew could have bested that. I believe 25 other teams would have a better package to offer than the Yankees.

I would say that the Yankees are the last team I'd look to trade with.

Other than Hughes they have very little of value. Years of trading away prospects for veteran stars for the stretch run have completely stripped them of any interesting prospects.

There is a reason Betances is their #3 rated prospect...they don't have anyone else.

So in answer to the original questions "Would the Yanks want Davis?? the answer would be, "Yes, but they have nothing to offer in return.?

Archived