Brewer Fanatic

Podsednik to Royals

Free agent outfielder Scott Podsednik has reached preliminary agreement on a contract with the Kansas City Royals.

The deal will be completed after Podsednik passes a physical exam Friday.

Podsednik is expected to play center field in Kansas City, between right fielder Jose Guillen and left fielder David DeJesus.

espn.com

mlbtraderumors.com

Per the updated mlbtraderumors link;

The Royals finalized their one-year $1.75MM deal with Scott Podsednik today. The contract includes a 2011 club option worth $2MM, but Podsednik can void it if he picks up 525 plate appearances this year. Both the 2010 and 2011 years include incentives worth $250K or more.

Wasn't there talk that Podsednik wanted at least $15 million over 2 years to sign? Taking $1.75 million from a joke of a franchise is quite a comedown from that. I'm kind of surprised he didn't wait a bit longer to at least see if a competently run team would be interested at that price. Then again, he's probably happy to not have to accept a minor league deal (which he's had to do 3 times over the past 2 seasons).

Updating Joe Posnanski's projected Royals lineup, looking at their 2009 OPS+:

C Jason Kendall - 72

1B Billy Butler - 124

2B Chris Getz - 74

3B Alex Gordon - 86

SS Yuniesky Betancourt - 68

OF David DeJesus - 106

OF Scott Podsednik - 98 (highest since 2003)

OF Josh Fields - 68

DH Jose Guillen - 80

What a fearsome group of players.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Maybe they think they can trade him for Carlos Lee at the deadline.

As a fan, I'd really, really hate to be going into the season knowing that's going to be the lineup thrown out there everyday. Of course, if it were the Brewers, I'm stubborn enough that I'd still watch them every night hoping for a miracle.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

We are one really bad hitter short of that group.

Lets match them up by CHONE projections then using R150.

C Jason Kendall - -25

1B Billy Butler - 24

2B Chris Getz - -8

3B Alex Gordon - 11

SS Yuniesky Betancourt - -16

OF David DeJesus - 8

OF Scott Podsednik - -9

OF Josh Fields - 1

DH Jose Guillen - -8

CHONE says the Royals will be -30 R150 on the season not including the DH who is also negative.

C Zaun - -12

1B Fielder - 39

2B Weeks - 11

3B McGehee - -6

SS Escobar - -7

OF Braun - 33

OF Gomez - -8

OF Hart - 3

CHONE has the Brewers at 53 R150 on the season. We would have to replace Fielder with the worst hitter in baseball to make our lineup as bad as the Royals most likely.

I was speaking more about this post than the lineup as a whole.

A lineup with Jason Kendall, Scott Podsednik, and Yuniesky Betancourt? That would make my eyes bleed.

We have 2 bad hitter to match that group. Obviously we have some top hitters outside of Escobar and Gomez. OUr lineup doesn't suck top to bottom like the Royals but we have 2 really bad hitters in it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I was speaking more about this post than the lineup as a whole.

A lineup with Jason Kendall, Scott Podsednik, and Yuniesky Betancourt? That would make my eyes bleed.

We have 2 bad hitter to match that group. Obviously we have some top hitters outside of Escobar and Gomez. OUr lineup doesn't suck top to bottom like the Royals but we have 2 really bad hitters in it.

They're weak hitters, but they aren't even in the same league as Betancourt or Kendall at this point.

No, Escobar and Gomez are in the NL.

Kendall is probably a better hitter than Gomez, or at least has has been over the last 3 years. Escobar will probably out hit Betencourt, but not by much.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Updating Joe Posnanski's projected Royals lineup, looking at their 2009 OPS+:

C Jason Kendall - 72

1B Billy Butler - 124

2B Chris Getz - 74

3B Alex Gordon - 86

SS Yuniesky Betancourt - 68

OF David DeJesus - 106

OF Scott Podsednik - 98 (highest since 2003)

OF Josh Fields - 68

DH Jose Guillen - 80

What a fearsome group of players.

Outside of hoping Gordan finally puts it together, that kind of bland and little upside lineup would make me barely watching by June.

Archived