Brewer Fanatic

Last Bench Spot

I was looking at the list of free agents still available, and I noticed that there are still a lot of very valuable bats out there. I think our bench is looking ok right now, but still could use a nice veteran bat that can play mulitple positions and also provide some power off the bench. Some of the names I was looking at were Fernando Tatis, Aubrey Huff, Melvin Mora, Marcus Thames, Johnny Gomes, Jerry Hairston, possibly Hank Blalock and Rocco Baldelli. These guys have all been productive players and could play a big role on next seasons team.

After doing research on all of these guys I came to the conclusion that I would love to see Fernando Tatis be the man to fill the last bench spot. Here's what I like about him:

- Plays multiple positions, LF, 2b, 3b ,and plays better D than most others on list
- Plays well as starter or substitute/ph
- Hits both RHP and LHP
- From what I've heard, he's a good teammate
- Probably will cost less than most of the other guys
- Has some power and OBP skills

Others I like out of the list, Johnny Gomes, Aubrey Huff and Marcus Thames. Who does everybody else like, or do you think it should just go to a Catalanatto (veteran minimum) or a Iribarren/Heether type?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have a feeling that anyone like that signed is going to have to be at the minimum salary level. Good or bad (see last year), we tend to fill those spots with young, cheap talent. And while it didn't work out too well last year (bad for Brad, good for Casey), that is what we are stuck doing with our salary situation.

do you think it should just go to a Catalanotto (veteran minimum) or a Iribarren/Heether type.

There's only 11 non pitchers assured of a roster spot. The backup catcher is up for grabs between Treanor, Lucroy and Kottaras. The two backups virtually assured spots are Gerut and Counsell, both lefthanded hitters. That leaves two spots, the 24th and 25th spots, not just the 25th, that are open.

One most likely will go to either Iribarren (my choice largely because he'd be exposed to waivers if he didn't make it and he's younger than Heether), or Heether and not Gamel because if he's not starting, he'll be in Nashville. Some have mentioned Oeltjen too, but going in as a non roster guy, he can be kept if he doesn't make the team at Nashville. If it's Iribarren or Oeltjen, the 25th man should be a right handed hitter, preferably a cheap veteran who can handle pressure PH duties late in games rather than the inexperienced albeit long time minor leaguer Heether.

Then it comes down to what you are looking for. Want a guy who can come up late and bang a HR and fill in at a corner OF spot if needed? Then a guy like Gomes or Thames makes sense. Want a guy that will give a quality AB consistently who can fight off good pitches and put the ball in play? Then maybe a Loretta fits the bill. Since, except for occasional pop from Gerut, the rest of the bench doesn't provide a ton of power, I'm inclined to look at Gomes or Thames. Braun has been known to need a week every now and then to nurse an intercostal problem. Having a proven power guy to fill in would be a nice luxury.

I would like to see both Heether and Irabarren make the roster. Unfortunately both are mainly infielders. I don't know if Irabarren can play the outfield well enough to be the "5th" outfielder, but I'd just hate to give up on him without really seeing what he can do. I thought he may have gotten a chance when Weeks got hurt last season but obviously he didn't. Heether also deserves a chance and I am glad the Brewers added him to the roster.

Yeah from what I've seen Heether can play pretty much all of the infield spots, though I believe third and second are his two main positions? Is that right? Irabarren is mainly a second basemen and can play some outfield, though I don't know how well. I actually think they could fit well with Counsell. You have Counsell who can backup shortstop whenever, Heether can play first and third when he needs to, Irabarren can cover second base and in an emergency play in the outfield. The real problems would occur if Counsell/Escobar got hurt or if an outfielder got hurt, but in that case they can always sign someone for an emergency role. They'll definitely have third base and second base covered well, though. Plus it'd be very beneficial financially. With Irabarren on the roster they'd have a TON of speed between him, Weeks, Gomez, Escobar, and even Hart and Braun. If Macha ever figures out how to use it they could a pitchers nightmare.

I think Heether has also played a decent amount of LF. I would let Heether and Hernan battle it out in spring training, unless we don't sign anybody else then I think they both make the roster. I think they both can play a little in the OF.

I wonder if bringing back Gabe Gross would be a good idea. Though he bats from the left side of the plate I wouldn't mind having him platoon with Hart in RF though I would rather have Church platoon with Hart in RF. Wouldn't be a bad pickup and he would be the 5th OF who can play any of the OF spots and could play LF every once in awhile when Braun needs a day off against a tough right hander also he would come very cheap probably around $1-2m.

Iribarren played exclusively in the OF in Venezuela this winter including a lot of time in CF. He made 2 errors in 48 games.

Heether's played 76 minor league games at SS and just 25 at 2B. He made 17 errors at SS, so I think he's not much more than an emergency guy there or at 2B. His OF time is even more limited than Iribarren. Iribarren's played 71 errorless games in the OF in the minors. Heether's played 29 (all in LF). Iribarren played 3 games at 3B in 2009 and didn't make an error in 9 chances. It's not like he couldn't play there or SS in an emergency and probably do as well as Heether.

They could indeed both make the team if Melvin really needs to save money. But having more than one rookie seeing very limited time seems dubious to me. Especially when you can option one of them (Heether) who could play everday in Nashville and be called up in a moment's notice without any effect on the 40 man.

I think the guys covering the Brewers are overlooking Iribarren because he didn't get a September callup last year. But I think it's a mistake to put much stock into that. With Lopez, 2 SS in Hardy and Escobar and Counsell still around, and Catalanotto and Gerut as OF backups, and another LH bat on the bench in Gamel, Iribarren would have just sat and since he's already experienced the major leagues, there was nothing to gain having him there.

I would rather see Heether and Irabarren on the roster than having Melvin throw money at a free agent, especially since we're not even sure he has money to go out and get another starter. I think both would be servicable enough to hold down a spot. It's not like either of them are top tier prospects anymore so I am not as concerned about them sitting on the bench as I would be with Gamel or Lucroy.

Especially when you can option one of them (Heether) who could play everday in Nashville and be called up in a moment's notice without any effect on the 40 man.

I was under the impression he was out of options and would have to pass through waivers to go back to Nashville?

I was under the impression Heether was out of options and would have to pass through waivers to go back to Nashville?
No, brand new to the 40-man, Milwaukee can shuttle him for the next three years to AAA (or keep him there full-time, which would be tough for Adam, having already toiled in the system for seven seasons).

Last year we started with a very thin bench, with both Duffy & Nelson playing their way off the team. Depth was shallow at best.

We ended last year w/ Gerut, Catalanotto, Patterson (a dud), etc., in addition to Counsell. Much better depth.

I like Hernan I. & Mat G., and I could easily see one of them making the team. But I still strongly believe Gomez could completely fail -- or someone else could get injured -- and we really need an OF we'd be very comfortable with if he started 100 games. Personally, I don't think that guy's presently on our roster. If that proves true, I don't see how Heether & Iribarren could both make the team out of ST.

Toss Norris Hopper into this discussion. Other than lacking power, he fits the profile of a potential 25th man.

He hits righthanded and has batted .367 vs. lefties in his limited major league career. He also succeeded in a PH role for the Reds in 07, hitting .296 in that role. He also did a good job leading off for the Reds that year too. He can play all OF positions including CF and despite some injury issues he had in 08, it appears he can still run. Plus he's cheap and this could be a sign that what money they have left will go for pitching.

Bench could now be: Kottaras, Counsell, Iribarren, Gerut, and Norris.

Bench could now be: Kottaras, Counsell, Iribarren, Gerut, and Norris.
I'm not very comfortable with the offensive prowess of that bench. All that I know is that Gamel had better be on the opening day roster. I think that he should start at third with McGahee coming off the bench. One player that I think the team should consider adding is Xavier Nady. The only problem with him is can he throw well enough to play right field anymore. I'd like the team to look at Ankiel too, but apparently he wants a starting job, and probably wants too much cash as well. I think that they need someone with a little pop in their bat to come off the bench.

• 2 weeks later...
McGehee earned the starting job at 3B. Barring a terrible spring training from him, he'll be the starting 3B, like it or not. I would not be surprised to

see Gamel start the year in Nashville.

To put this another way. I would be extremely surprised to see Gamel start the season in Milwaukee. He either gets full-time AB's (somewhere) or gets traded.

Mat Gamel should be playing right field in Nashville. I really think he should play first base, but until Fielder is traded or leaves via free agency there is no point in that. I think he eventually ends up at first base or gets traded. Even if McGehee struggles, don't forget about Taylor Green. Hopefully he bounces back nicely from his wrist injury as I think he would eventually fill the #2 spot in the lineup very nicely.

http://sports.espn.go.com...ick_jerry&id=4859154

After reading the above article, I really like the idea of Rocco Baldelli. I think he would be the perfect 5th OF on this team. He's a right handed bat with some pop who can start once a week, be the main pinch hitter against lefties, and even pinch run on occasion. His medical condition would prevent him from stepping in as a starter if someone went down, but you really don't need that out of the 5th OF spot. He seems to realize what his role needs to be from here on out, and you can't help but root for the guy. I can't imagine it would take much to sign him either.

Archived