Brewer Fanatic

Rockies interested in Brady Clark for CF

aracko

I don't think Clark, Davis and Inman is too much for Jennings.

The deal comes down to giving up Inman who likely will pitch no higher than AA next season to get a huge upgrade in the 07 rotation, one that certainly has the potential to put them in the playoffs. Jennings is also one of the top hitting pitchers in baseball.

Neither Davis or Clark are under Brewer control after 07 anyway and together both figure to make more than Jennings in 07.

Best case scenario Jennings gets you to postseason where you haven't been in 25 years.

Worst case, you have Jennings rather than Davis to trade at deadline. You're likely to get a much better prospect for Jennings in July than you are for Davis. Maybe one good enough to make up for loss of Inman.

Either way, your inventory of young arms in your system, Gallardo, Villanueva, Rogers, Jeffress, etc, is still pretty strong.

I don't think Clark, Davis and Inman is too much for Jennings.

I don't understand this at all. I wouldn't trade Davis for Jennings straight up. While Dougie's ERA has gone the wrong way two consecutive years, he still has a career ERA of 4.35 compared to Jennings' 4.74. While Jennings' ERAs over the last few years were probably a bit Coors-inflated, his '06 ERA was probably Coors-deflated. And it's not like he's more durable than Davis.

Jennings is a good pitcher and I'd love to add him as a bottom/middle of the rotation starter. I'd trade Clark for him in a second, but I don't see how Clark + Davis makes any sense, much less Clark + Davis + Inman. That's way, way too much. I'd rather bring Ohka back than give up Davis or Inman for Jennings.

Rotoworld suggests that the rockies asked the astros for Chris Burke and Brad Lidge, and that that was waaaay too much for jennings---they suggested the rockies might throw in Hawpe as well...

which leads to my question:

what about Clark (or TGJ) and Turnbow or Cappellan for Jennings?

That trade wouldn't cost the brewers a huge element of the team, and would give them much more depth at SP..

then, if they are absolutely insistent on trading Davis (who will actuallt cost LESS than Jennings in the long run), they can get more for him...

what about Clark (or TGJ) and Turnbow or Cappellan for Jennings?

How does depleteing the bullpen help the team? We need help in the pen as it is. We are at the point where we need to target teams with a shortage were we have a surplus. Improving one area while making a bigger hole in another is like cutting a hole in the bottom of a boat to fix one in the side. Either way your still going to sink.

pogo would you agree we should improve the bullpen? Latin Cappy (love that name BYW) was every bit as sound a prosect as Eveland and Sarfate and he wasn't great as a rookie. Why get rid of a guy whose already gone through some of the rookie learning curve and replace him with someone who has to go through the same thing? Eveland has had time in the bigs and that didin't turn out so well. I'm just not sold that those two are going to replace anyone. In cases where you have few solid answers I think the next best option is to give yourself as many parts to work with as possible and see what sticks. Getting rid of some of those parts and relying on a rookie or a guy who pretty much fell flat on his face when he had a chance last season seems like a pretty drastic gamble. Especially when there are other options out there to improve the team without losing workable parts in an area of weakness.

I want the team to be better---not jsut teh bullpen

if adding jason jennings makes the team better overall, then i say go for it...

i also don't think the brewers should spend more money on the pen...2006 was a weird year, but every other year the pen has been great, even though it was pulled together from castaways and scraps...i have great confidence that the team can do that again in 2007

so, i see the bullpen as a place that other teams over value, and the brewers could get some good players for mediocre relievers...

I want the team to be better---not jsut teh bullpen

if adding jason jennings makes the team better overall, then i say go for it...

Agreed. I think the disagreement is how it makes the team better. Like you said, the way we put the pen together in the past was to get a bunch of guys and see who stuck. I agree with that approach for the most part. The reason I didn't like the Cappy or T-Bow part of your trade thoughts was becasue we need numbers in the pen. I'd rather collect arms than get rid of them. For the record I'd be ok with T-Bow going somewhere else because of his salary but Latin Cappy is still cheap and certainly as functional, with heat and a high ceiling, as any scrap heap guy we could find.

Archived