Brewer Fanatic

McGwire to play in 2010 playoffs?

Patrick425

Quoth LaRussa:
"If we're in contention, we'll put him on the roster Aug. 31. It's a nice little dream," said La Russa, who's managed the perennially contending Cardinals since leaving the A's after the 1995 season.

"Is it likely? Probably not. I don't think it's a zero possibility...."

It's not like unusual September roster additions haven't happened before, but I can't recall a retired player being added because of postseason playoff implications. When the Brewers put Harvey Kuenn on the active roster, it was to give him more credit toward his pension.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm reminded of Jim Palmer's attempted comeback in 1991, as a reliever with the O's. He was already in the HOF at the time, and it seemed like a pretty sincere effort, though he got lit up in Spring Training, and hung them up for good.

Take away the steroids and McGwire sems like a guy worth rooting for. . .it's just that we'll neer know how much of his career was authentic and how much of it was ill-gotten.

As for LaRussa, he just likes to stir things up, and for a mid-winter random day, this adds a little interest to the off-season. We'll see if it becomes anything during the season.

It would stall the HOF voting by 5 years but according to Jerry Crasnick on Twitter, it doesn't reset. He would be ineligible for the HOF voting next year and would start again 5 years from re-retirement with 4 years of eligibility used up.

I'm more curious to see if he can even hit MLB pitching at this point.

Rp

It would stall the HOF voting by 5 years but according to Jerry Crasnick on Twitter, it doesn't reset. He would be ineligible for the HOF voting next year and would start again 5 years from re-retirement with 4 years of eligibility used up.

So a guy retires, sits out a year, and changes his mind -- like Gabe Kapler -- he loses years on the HoF Ballot? That seems... odd.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Thinking back, I think Neyer did say 2016-2026 or something, so maybe that's true. I think the big key though is not years of eligibility but the threat of dropping off. 4 years off would get him around the years where there'll be a ton of other people to vote for and perhaps he would drop below 5%.

Archived