Brewer Fanatic

pic of a Jersey I just framed myself

BREWCREW5

I know that some on here are interested in framing stuff themselves. I used to have some items framed at a sports shop for me. It was expensive and this was in the winter of 2007. I had a Favre 16x20 framed and it cost me $165, another Favre jersey framed there that was $250. I'm sure the prices have probably gone up.

Now, I frame everything myself. I shop at Hobby Lobby and Michaels. I typically buy the wood frames (the section without the glass) at Hobby Lobby (they are almost always 50% off). Then I drive over to Michaels and buy the standard UV glass and acid free matting. I was given this Tony Romo jersey last Christmas from a friend of a friend of Romo's. I just framed it myself and the total cost out-the-door was roughly $135.

http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/jimhaas/?action=view&current=IMG_2259.jpg

The frame was $40 at Hobby Lobby, the UV glass was $56, the acid free matting was $14. I needed the glass and matting cut and the rest of the expense was an acid free foamboard (which makes of the back) and other materials (wire hanger, etc). The UV glass and the matting, foamboard was not on sale.

Hobby Lobby within the last year raised their UV glass prices and now are really expensive.

I should also mention this is the first jersey I have done. It is in a 24x36 size frame. The jersey basically gets sewn to the matting by a thread that looks like fishing line. I went to Michaels during their custom framing 60% off sale for a quote on this jersey. The quote I got was for $268 and that came in a cheap looking black metal frame and was a type of small shadow boxes. I am not a huge fan of the shadow box.

Great job, BREWCREW5!

When sewing the jersey to the matting, does the stitch go around the whole thing? Or are there strategically placed tacks to hold it in place?

I just got a jersey authenticated by MEARS, and will be having it done in the coming months. Not sure if I'll go the DIY route, or have it done at a frame shop.

I have had a number of vintage felt pennants done over the years, and the framers just use a few tacks (of similar fishing line thread) to hold the pennant in place.

I'm concerned that the stitching around an entire jersey would cause damage. . .not sure if my fears are warranted.

Archived