Brewer Fanatic

Alex Rios?

trwi7

Doug Davis alone could net at LEAST Rios. JJ Hardy is so disrespected on this forum, it's ridiculous. I understand people are frustrated with his injuries, but the second half of 2005 truly showed us what Hardy can do. He got injured this year by running into a beast at the plate, and needs to be respected for giving up his body for the win, the team, and the fans. Hardy will be back in 2006, and I personally can't wait to see him make his critics eat crow. Melvin clearly has 100% confidence in him, as Hall will be playing LF, not SS.

Rios is just another guy who strikes out too frequently, and would not improve our offense that much. His BB-K ratio is horrendous, and his career base-stealing % is at 71. The threads on Juan Pierre point out just how much negative impact getting caught stealing has.

Rios has good physical ability, including a solid OF arm. However, his production on the field is just not the impact the Brewers need. We already have enough guys that need to drastically reduce their Ks and increase their BBs. We don't need another.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote:
Doug Davis alone could net at LEAST Rios.

I highly doubt that.

Quote:
JJ Hardy is so disrespected on this forum, it's ridiculous.

Hey I like Hardy but if we could get Alex Rios for him I'd trade him and keep Hall at SS.

Quote:
Rios is just another guy who strikes out too frequently, and would not improve our offense that much. His BB-K ratio is horrendous, and his career base-stealing % is at 71.

The guy hit .302 this year and is only 25. If we could get him he'd be our right fielder for years to come. And who cares about his stolen bases? He has good power and plays good defense.

Quote:
However, his production on the field is just not the impact the Brewers need.

.302/.349/.516/.865/17 HR's/82 RBI's/35 BB's/89 K's in 450 AB's isn't good enough?

I guess this comes down to difference in opinion. I don't like the addition, especially if it had to be at the expense of Hardy.

I agree that the possibility of Wells departing will make Toronto very reluctant to deal Rios. I don't think your idea of Davis's trade value is accurate, which is again my own opinion. I'm basing that on what Lyle Overbay returned, primarily, since I was shocked we got so much. Additionally basing it on the over-inflated FA market, and general difficulty in finding a dependable LH starter.

I think the Brewers are fortunate to have 2 such pitchers, so dealing one is not handcuffing the rotation's diversity/balance. Toronto feels it can plausibly win the AL East in 2007, so the Wells situation looks to play out much like Carlos Lee's in 2006 (team performance-based). Having Rios as an affordable insurance policy is something I wouldn't give up as Toronto.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived