Brewer Fanatic

Hall of Fame 2010: Andre Dawson elected

bando1234

Well its just about that time of year. I m hoping for a great vote this year but sometimes just dont think the writers get it right. Just curious on who others would vote & why? I would give my vote for three with a considerartion for a forth.avg

Tim Raines---- .294 avg .385obp .425 slg & .810 ops 808 steals 2605 hits. 70 + stolen bases 6 years in a row,a sliver slugger, 7 time all star, Greatest leadoff hitter not named Henderson, which should not be held against him.

Roberto Alomar.----.300 avg .371 obp .443 slg & .814 ops 2724 hits,210 Hrs, 474 SB's 1134 RBI's. 12 time All star,10 time gold glover, 4 time silver slugger.

Barry Larkin----.295 avg .371 obp.444 slg(see a trend with Alomar) 198 Hr's 960 RBI's 379 stolen bases(77 times caught stealing). 12 time allstar,9 time silver slugger, 3 time gold glover.

Consideration would be Edgar Martinez --- .312 avg, .418 obs, .515 slg , 309 Hrs, 1283 RBis, 7 time all star, 5 time silver slugger.

And I would love the Vets Comitee to consider Minnie Minoso .298 Avg .389 Obp,.459 slg, 3 time gold glover, 7 time all star( I know the vets comitee would have to wait until 2011, I just want to see him get in)

(edit: updated title --1992)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A solid list of the candidates who actually have a chance to make it:

• Roberto Alomar

• Harold Baines

• Bert Blyleven

• Andre Dawson

• Andres Galarraga

• Barry Larkin

• Edgar Martinez

• Don Mattingly

• Fred McGriff

• Mark McGwire

• Jack Morris

• Dale Murphy

• Dave Parker

• Tim Raines

• Lee Smith

• Alan Trammell

My votes go to Trammell, Larkin, Raines, Alomar, Blyleven, Martinez and McGwire

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

My ballot would be:

Alomar
Blyleven
Raines
Lee Smith

Blyleven is justified in his being torqued off for not being elected. That one really is an injustice.

It's odd now for me, being in my late 40s to see guys who are now getting onto the ballot, whose careers have been fully spent within my own adulthood.

Hall of Famers used to seem so distant and accomplished. Now guys are getting elected who are younger than me!

Another thing to complain about, I guess. . .

I'd go with Morris, Dawson and probably Lee Smith and Blyleven. I get into this argument every year, but t my opinion, Dawson was a much better player than Raines, I don't care what the Sabermetrics say. Had Dawson not torn his knees up, he may have been counted with the all time greats, but he still put up HOF numbers in my opinion. Raines had a few years as one of the best in the game, but tailed off in the late 80's and was pretty much a role player for the rest of his career. Jack Morris was one of the best pitchers of the 80's and in my opinion Game 7 of the 91 series cemented him as a HOF. Lee Smith was the most feared closer of his day and pitched most of his prime years in bandboxes (Wrigley and Fenway, though the shadows in Wrigley probably helped him with all the day games)... I doubt that Smith will get in however, because it seems like closers in baseball will be treated like kickers in football for enshrinement... though I think Smith was better than both Fingers and Sutter. I've softened on Blyleven a bit... even though I don't think he was ever really one of the best players in the game, and was pretty much a stat compiler, the fact that guys like Don Sutton and Phil Niekro are in make it hard for me to shoot him down. I don't get the love for Edgar Martinez, his numbers were really no better than Don Mattingly's and he DH'ed for most of his career. In my opinion, another DH - Harold Baines was a better player, to me he falls short as well. No to Alomar, if he had a couple more big years maybe, but he fell off the face of the earth quickly. Spitting in the umps face didn't win him any points with me either. If you want an under appreciated 2B, Sweet Lou Whitaker is your man, but he falls a little short most likely. think that Trammel and Larkin deserve some consideration as well, because they put up big numbers playing shortstop.

Edgar Martinez should be in Cooperstown, but I wonder if a full-time DH will ever get voted in.

To me, this should be the focal point of this year's discussion. With other players, you can compare OPS+ against others who played the same position, then try to factor in for defense. That's not the case at all for Edgar.

I've never used Yuku's kudos feature before, but (if I did things right), Principessa21 got one from me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Raines, Blyleven and Alomar are no-brainers imo. The rest I could go either way on with Larkin probably getting my 4th vote. I'd probably say no to McGwire and Martinez at least on the first ballot. Defintiely a no for Dawson, McGriff, Galarraga, Mattingly and Murphy none of which are really that close to HOF worthy. Morris and Lee I can go either way but would take Lee before I took Morris.

If Dawson goes in over Raines and Morris over Blyleven it will pretty clearly show that the entire system is a failure and needs to be reworked.

Paul Molitor was basically voted in for being a DH, so I don't see why Martinez should be excluded on that grounds. I'm not sure if his numbers really stand up, though.

I have to say no on Dawson, just because I don't think you can fairly give guys a pass because they had injuries that caught up to them.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Paul Molitor was basically voted in for being a DH

He had more ABs as a position player than as a DH, so it's not a good comparison imo. Molitor really only started DHing as his main gig in 1991.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Injuries forced Mattingly out of the game as well but that doesn't seem to work for him, IMO he was better then Puckett.

I'd probably only vote for Alomar

Puckett won 2 championships.

Sorry but in baseball that shouldn't help you get in the HOF. There are a lot of players that won multiple championships.

Jack Morris was on 4 winning teams and won a WS MVP.

Archived