Brewer Fanatic

Randy Winn

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Does anyone know why Randy Winn went off the deep end this past season? He was a solid hitter - nothing great, but solid the previous years. And then he goes and posts a sub .700 OPS and any semblance of power disappears. I know he hit righties last year really, really bad - i mean worse than Kendall bad - a .384 OPS against them! But he's always been pretty consistent - even with last year's 'performance' included, his OPS the past three years is .757 vs lefties and .753 vs righties.

Just curious if anyone has a clue as to what happen. He's 35 - so maybe age just has caught up with him.

However, I always liked Winn. Switch hitter, very good defender at the corners (fangraphs has his RF ratings the past four years as 21.2, 9.8, 17.8 and 17.4), reliable (149 games or more every year for eight straight years), a little speed. If the Crew thought he'd rebound to more of a .750ish OPS guy, I think he would be better than Hart. Not the upside Hart has, but more consistency and far better fielding. Plus, if you gave him a starting job, he'd probably only cost a few million dollars - and Cory could be dealt for pitching help (assuming someone wants to deal for him). As a switch hitter, he'd probably slot it well after Weeks in the #2 slot.

I like the idea of improving defense (a lot, in my opinion), and not giving up that much at the plate. Plus the switch hitter would be a nice addition.

Not really sure why. His walk rate was right in line with his career averages. His strikeout rate went from around 14% to 17%, but that's still a perfectly reasonable number and his LD% was over 22%. His BABIP was down to .314 from the previous two years at .332 and .346. Maybe age is catching up to him? Maybe just an off year?

He's been holding out for a starting gig. But there isn't much of a market for him as a starter considering his age and lack of production last year. That being said, he'd be a nice alternative if the Brewers traded Hart. I don't see him getting over $3 million and probably less than that if he's signed as a 4th outfielder.

Archived