Brewer Fanatic

Have the Brewers improved this offseason?

paul253
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tbe Brewers are like a bunch of men bailing water out of a sinking ship. Only what they've done is that most of the workers instead of bailing the water overboard are bailing it to another part of the boat. They're slowing sinking, but very, very slowly. Now, if Melvin can somehow address the weaknesses on offense that he's created then everyone will be bailing the water overboard and we will see some real imporvements.

"Gerut in CF last year was abysmal"

This is definitely false. Small sample size alone, if we're going by UZR, Gerut was a + defender last year, and has been for all but one season as a CF.

I should have said for us he was abysmal. -3.1 UZR or -41.8 UZR/150 for us in CF. I think he would be expected to give us a little worse defense than Cameron over a whole season. Still above average. He definitely isn't as good as Gomez defensively. I am not sure that his UZR's before 2008 are relevant after he had so much time off.

After looking at his defense a little closer I think I would actually prefer him to Gomez in CF. So I was wrong about that. This actually makes the Hardy/Gomez trade even more confusing unless Gomez goes to AAA for a while.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Gerut can hit. If Gomez was making under $1m I could possible see him sending him down, but given his arby award? Gomez could use the time in AAA the Brewers could use the cheap year of Gomez's prime, and the Brewers would likely be better off for 2010. But its unlikely to happen.

Gerut can hit. If Gomez was making under $1m I could possible see him sending him down, but given his arby award? Gomez could use the time in AAA the Brewers could use the cheap year of Gomez's prime, and the Brewers would likely be better off for 2010. But its unlikely to happen.
Does Gomez have any options remaining?

I think we need to put pressure on teams with our speed. Bunting, stealing, taking extra bases. Take a few more risks and it will cause teams to screw up as well. I don't think we can sit back and slug like we used to.

MLB isn't little league. You really have to pick your spots as, for the most part, teams field at a high quality. Most teams have better arms than a combination of Luis Gonzalez, Juan Pierre, and Johnny Damon in the outfield. Most catchers can throw. Most third basemen can field. Risk taking at the major league level often means getting thrown out.

Robert

You can most certainly get value out of base running even at the major league level. There is generally one team that gets 20-30 base runs above average from it which is good for 2-3 wins for the season. To use the 2008 NL as an example since I found those stats easily, the Phillies were +20.34 and the Giants were -24.47. That means base running alone could have given the Phillies 5 more wins than the Giants that year. That is a very significant difference.

Of course just having fast guys isn't enough, they have to be smart about when they take the extra bases because making outs are so devastating.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Of course just having fast guys isn't enough, they have to be smart

about when they take the extra bases because making outs are so

devastating.

Macha is aware of this - he made specific mention of the 75% success rate last year during spring training. Be interesting to see how he approaches it this year.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Gomez is regarded as fantastic defensively. I'm not sure how you can say you'd prefer Gerut to him.
Including offense I would prefer Gerut. Just on defense, no question Gomez. The best way to go may be some sort of platoon. Worst case scenario Gerut should get at least one start a week in CF. One thing Macha really needs to improve is getting his bench players at bats.

I would have little problem sending Gomez down and paying him $1.15M. If he is kept down all year, he would still be short of 3 years service time. It would be kind of a crappy thing to do to the guy though. I am not sure he would e eligible for arbitration if he didn't play in the majors in 2010. He wouldn't have enough service time to qualify and wouldn't be a super 2 because you need at least 86 days in the previous season to qualify for that.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

With hearing that Melvin is most likely looking at another lefty bat for the outfield, does anyone think that Gabe Gross would be a decent addition? I think he'd be a nice backup in RF for Hart, and he could also get some starts in CF, and be a good pinch-hitter.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Of course just having fast guys isn't enough, they have to be smart about when they take the extra bases because making outs are so devastating.
Macha is aware of this - he made specific mention of the 75% success rate last year during spring training. Be interesting to see how he approaches it this year.

So how do our guys stack up to this 75% success rate? I have heard Gomez for as fast as he is, makes a ton of mistakes on the base paths. The one in the playoffs against the Yankees comes to mind, but I don't want to judge the guy's base running on that one play. What about Escobar, Weeks, and the other guys who will be running, are they at or above that 75% rate for their careers? Is stolen base percentage something that gets better as a player matures? It would seem like it is, but I would like to see what the numbers say.

I think the offense will be fine and the defense should be similar. On paper they're better, but all question really start and end with the pitching staff, as they do with many teams heading into a season, IMO.

Will Yo become an elite pitcher or just remain very good?
Will Wolf duplicate his success over the last 2 years?
Will Manny Parra's potential finally be realized?

If 2/3 of those end up being answered positively then I think we are in contention, if not we simply don't have enough good pitching depth.

Archived