Brewer Fanatic

Three-way trade

UWRyan428

With Boston's Manny Ramirez recently being shopped, and reports that the White Sox would be willing to ship two of their pitchers, I was thinking...

Boston receives: 3B Fields/OF Jenkins/RHP Contreras

Milwaukee receives: RHP Vasquez

ChiSox receive: LHP D. Davis/M. Ramirez

For all intents and purposes, the money would actually equal out, with the Brewers upgrading their rotation, the Red Sox have Manny's contract off the books which helps a great deal with their recent bid on Matsuzaka and their ongoing negotiations. They also get a very good, ML ready 3B prospect and a very good pitcher signed for as long as ManRam. The ChiSox...well they get one of the best hitters in the league, and can boast a hitters' row of Thome/ManRam/Konerko/Dye. Also, their rotation would be quite formidable, despite their immense losses of two top-o-the-day aces, with the addition of Doug Davis. Obviously, I have only heard of rumors of each team's individual necessity to move these players, and none of them are recently linked, but I would have to say this makes sense. Anyone else?

Wow, nice creative work UWRyan. The only possible flaw I can find is that the White Sox clearly come out far ahead in terms of 2007 players. I like the combination you've worked out here, man. All players have been made "available", even though I don't know the 3B prospect from the White Sox. I agree that this trade totally kicks butt for the Crew. Dumping Jenks's salary, and moving Davis in return for a starter as solid & proven as Vasquez makes me drool
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think Davis could net us more than Vazquez. Over the past three years, Davis has actually been the better pitcher ERA and FIP-wise, though Vazquez has a longer track record. I would probably value them pretty equally, but then Vazquez costs about twice the money, IIRC.

Maybe give us Brian Anderson as well, or am I too much of a homer?

I'll agree that it would seem the ChiSox are getting the best end of this deal, but I would definitely take Vasquez over Doug Davis. And furthermore, the trade would make the most sense with them keeping Brian Anderson, complementing his defensive skills and lack of bat with Manny's "Manny being Manny" and offensive prowess. There could be a minor nugget coming our way from Chicago, but I would take the deal the way I drew it up.

Perhaps we could get them to toss in Matt Thornton. As I have said many times, the lefty has smoke! However, that would probably be a long shot. Also, the White Sox are now being linked to the Rangers, which means the Yankees are now getting involved in the raid on ChiSox pitching.

Archived