Brewer Fanatic

DeRosa signs with Giants 2yr/12mil

pretendastronaut

The Giants made their first big splash of the offseason Monday, reaching an agreement with the free-agent infielder on a two-year contract. Giants spokesman Jim Moorehead said the 12-year veteran was in San Francisco and passed a physical Monday. The team planned to formally announce his deal Tuesday.

As ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported last week, DeRosa, who turns 35 in February, has been on the verge of accepting a two-year contract offer from the Giants since before Christmas. That offer, according to SI.com, is for a total of $12 million over the two seasons.

Full Article

Glad to see he's not a Cub or Cardinal.

Added transaction icon --cc

Seems like a pretty good deal for the Giants. Not sure why he didn't garner more interest, as he's a very versatile fielder with a solid bat. I heard the Yanks were interested, so I'm a bit surprised this already got done with the Giants.
Formerly Andersoc420

Seems like a pretty good deal for the Giants. Not sure why he didn't garner more interest, as he's a very versatile fielder with a solid bat. I heard the Yanks were interested, so I'm a bit surprised this already got done with the Giants.

He hit just .250/.319/.433 last year, and turns 35 in February. Sure, he's versatile, but other than 3B, he's not a good defensive player, he doesn't run all that well and the only 2 seasons he exceeded an .800 OPS were in hitter friendly Texas and Wrigley. He's overrated in part because he's very media savvy.

I think this is a bad signing myself. They are going to have to play him at 1B. Sandoval is entrenched at third and the outfield in SF is too big for the slow DeRosa. He'll be among the bottom in the league at that position especially playing in the NL West. The Yankees got a younger, better player in Nick Johnson for $5.5 million for one year. Giants could also have waited on Adam LaRoche's demands to come down (as they will) and gotten a better player for not much more than what they are paying DeRosa.

They are going to have to play him at 1B. Sandoval is entrenched at third and the outfield in SF is too big for the slow DeRosa.

I think their plan is to move Kung Fu Panda to 1B and play DeRosa primarily at third. That doesn't make this signing look any better.

Glad to see he's not a Cub or Cardinal.
First thought that went through my mind.
Yep, "out of the division" was the first phrase I thought of. Sometime during the 2009 season, I dreamed that the Brewers lost a vexingly close game to a late-inning Mark DeRosa hit. I don't remember if he was with the Cubs or Cardinals at the time. With SF (barring a mid-season trade) he'll only have a chance of doing that seven times in 2010!
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

DeRosa may be one of the most overrated players in MLB. He's certainly not bad, but other than his home games at Wrigley a couple years ago, he's been a consistent 750 OPS guy for several years, who might put up a fluky 800 OPS. He's not as good as Ty Wigginton, who you hear nothing about, and he is very similar to Mark Teahen, whose signed for less per year, is younger and faster, and whose signing was roundly criticized.

If he could still play SS, he'd be worth twice that. However, he can't, and is well below average as a corner OF. He's not getting any younger either, as he's well past his prime.

Archived