Brewer Fanatic

Collectables... open or not open??

jeffreyzee

I was just wondering what everyone else does with thier collectables. I have some McFarlanes, old Starting Line-Ups and other msc stuff and I typically keep them in the package "just in case" they become worth something someday but I am getting sick of looking at it all in plastic. My rec-room looks like it belongs to the 40 year old virgin!! So my question is... do you guys open packages or keep them sealed? I think I started keeping them in packages because I was noticing some older items being worth money if still in the package but now with Ebay and the internet, it seems like anybody can get anything at anytime so stuff isn't worth as much.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the input!

For me it depends on the item. I have a box of old starting lineups that include a few that were worth something at one time that I don't open just because I feel bad opening something that has been in the package since the 80s or early 90s. Plus who knows, maybe they will go back up in value some day. I don't even like owning them anymore though since they just sit in a box but at the same time I like the players enough that I can't sell them.

Otherwise, I don't buy stuff with the intent to never open them. I have one McFarlane figure and I opened it and I have a few starting lineups from the early 2000s that I opened. I just don't feel like starting lineups will be worth what they were in the 90s. I also don't expect McFarlane figures to ever be worth much either. I would also assume there are far more people that are keeping their collectible figures like these in the package with the hopes that they will be worth something some day and back in the 80s/90s almost everyone opened them.

Archived