Brewer Fanatic

Duchscherer Signs with A's $5.5M/1 year

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4770727

This deal and Harden's deal are starting to make me uneasy with the deal we gave Wolf. Essentially, we could have had Harden/Dutch OR Wolf, and although there would have been a risk in acquiring two injury prone players, the ceiling would have been huge as well.

Thoughts?

edit-title (spelled name correctly) PL

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4770727

This deal and Harden's deal are starting to make me uneasy with the deal we gave Wolf. Essentially, we could have had Harden/Dutch OR Wolf, and although there would have been a risk in acquiring two injury prone players, the ceiling would have been huge as well.

Thoughts?

Every signing of a starting pitcher makes the Wolf deal look worse. Melvin definitely jumped the gun, and the market for starting pitching turned out to be way down. Kind of like when you buy something at one store and then a week later you see an ad in the paper where it is on sale somewhere else for about half of what you paid.....only in the Brewers' case, Melvin threw away the receipt and the box.

I don't think very many teams had a real chance at signing him away from Oakland. Yeah, there were reports that he had offers from a handful of teams, but it seems like he preferred to stay in a comfortable environment for another year. Considering the problems he went through last year, I don't think it's that much of a surprise. It's a very cheap deal, but it's not something many teams could have signed him for.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

How is he throwing, and how good of an idea do you have regarding his physical and mental health? He's had one out of the last three years where he was worth anything. If you were paying him that rate since 2007, you'd have spent $16.5M on 22 very good starts and a lot of trying to fill the hole with whoever else you can find at whatever you had to pay. He's a good guy to gamble on, but you have a very real shot of seeing a very small return on your investment, and better have a decent #6 starter.

JD got far less due to mental and injury concerns. If he pitches 200 frames, he's a bargain...but the over/under on him is probably about 80. Wolf's is more along the lines of 150. There are plenty of guys with talent, like Sheets, who will not be paid due to durability concerns.

All you can do is play the math...a guy who projects to throw twice as many innings with similar results will get twice as much, or more, as teams don't have 7-8 SP's, which means AAA guys have to eat the missing innings.

It takes two to tango, and we have no idea if he was at all interested in coming to Milwaukee (especially at that contract, it likely would have had to be significantly higher). We can play the "what if" game all we want, but it isn't going to change the fact that Milwaukee generally has to slightly overpay to get many Free Agents to come here.

Every signing of a starting pitcher makes the Wolf deal look worse

I haven't seen any pitcher get a contract that makes the Wolf deal look worse. I think we gave him like $2M more a year than we should have but Harden or Duch or Penny or Marquis aren't deals that would excite me either. Bunch of high risk guys that aren't likely to be worth as much as Wolf and an overachiever. Wolf+Harden or Duch would have been nice but in an either or I'd just as soon take Wolf.

This screams hometown discount to me. Yes, they're rare in MLB, but they happen.
Instead, we are getting a hometown shunning from Sheets. Have to wonder what is going on with the management of this team.

i actually wonder more what is going on with ben sheets. let's see, accept arby last offseason when you know you're hurt and get 12 million or more to sit home and rehab all year or try to trick some team into signing you to a huge multi year deal under the false impression that you're actually healthy?

i also fail to see how a hurt pitcher with a handful of quality starts under his belt signing a below market deal with the only big league club he has ever played for reflects negatively on milwaukee or our signing of randy wolf.

Archived