Brewer Fanatic

Red Sox & Blue Jays SS

colbyjack

I just noticed that the Reds and White Sox are pursuing FA SS Alex Gonzalez according to Rotoworld:

www.rotoworld.com/content...mp;id=2653

That takes one of the two relatively good shortstops off of the FA market, leaving Julio Lugo, who seems destined to land in either Boston or Toronto.

Which leads me to ask, what do the Red Sox or Blue Jays do in the event they miss out on Lugo? Do they go with in-house options, such as Pedroia of the Red Sox (who would seem to be a much better fit at 2B), or one of Aaron Hill and Russ Adams of the Blue Jays (both of whom are better fits at 2B, and Adams probably shouldn't be starting everyday at any position)?

I know it was suggested that Melvin may be posturing on the issue of Bill Hall playing the OF to possibly increase the value of JJ Hardy by making it seem as though the team is committed to him in the short and long term. Hall doesn't seem to be going anywhere, but would the team deal Hardy, and what could they get in return? Melvin has been looking for more big-league ready players, so I'm hesitant to throw out the names of any prospects, and with the acquisition of Frank Thomas I don't think the Blue Jays are going to deal Vernon Wells. Each team's top prospect is on the verge of breaking into the big leagues (Jacoby Ellsbury and Adam Lind), but then the Brewers still have to endure the learning curve of both players. Lind may be more expendable if the Jays sign the Big Hurt, while Ellsbury (and/or Coco Crisp) could be had if the Red Sox sign JD Drew.

I'm probably over-thinking this, as there has been no indication that either Hall or Hardy are going anywhere.

I'm sure we could get Papelbon from Boston or Halladay from Toronto if we offered Hardy.

Seriously though the only way Hardy has value right now is due to his youth. Would it be a better idea to let him start the season at SS and see if he can get a little more value and then trade him?

I also think if we traded him to Boston we could get a little more than Crisp. Both are coming off injuries, Crisp makes more money and Crisp is older. I do like Crisp though and I think he would be a good addition to the team.

I also like Lind but I don't know if they would give him up due to Wells' impending free agency.

Interesting point. My understanding is that Lind is not a centerfielder. So how does his status relate to Wells as much as it relates to Reed Johnson? Do the BlueJays have a centerfielder in the making to replace Wells? I guess, with John McDonald at the top of Toronto's depth chart at short, I see the point of potential desperation on their part, though. Then again, Pedroia might not show much more than Toronto's Hill or Adams. And looking at those teams production at short: Boston, .674 OPS; Toronto, .716...I can see how both teams might be desparate for improvement at short. I'm seeing Boston as more likely to land the free agent, and Toronto more likely to look for a trade, but I'm not sure I see the Brewers dealing Hardy. I have a good feeling about him this coming year.

I understand that Lind isn't a centerfielder but they could be losing a lot of power if Wells leaves after 2007. I think Lind would be counted on for power if Wells does leave.

I do think Hardy will be the starting shortstop in 2007 and depending on how Perez is doing in the minors and how Hardy comes back from injury I could see Hardy being traded during the season.

I was listening to the Baseball Beat on XM, and a writer on there (don't remember where from, so take this with a grain of salt) was speculating that the Blue Jays signed Thomas to make the sting of dealing Wells hurt less...he thought that the signing made it more likely that the Jays would trade Wells, and thought it would be for pitching. For what it's worth anyway.

Hardy/Davis/Villy

for

McGowan and Wells?

Anyone? That would help both teams. I mean, the Blue Jays were starting Ty Taubenheim last year! Villy would be the perfect 6th man for them that he would be for us and Davis fills Lilly's spot in their rotation. Perhaps he just missed his friend, Lyle. And Hardy...if healthy, looks to truly show off his skills as the epitome of a #2. And for Melvin, it gets him his former #1 that was "untouchable" as of this time last season with a year's rental, at least, of a top five CF.

Quote:
We would have him for at least a year, and with him in the middle of the lineup, we would have a virtual murderers' row of power.

2B Weeks

3B Koskie

CF Wells

1B Prince

SS Hall

RF Jenkins

LF Hart

C Miller

P Sheets/Cappy/Bush/Zach Jack/Villy

We traded Villy in your trade, it has to be someone else.

So we have two rookies in the starting rotation and if we lose Wells to free agency after the year we give up a young pitcher who has good potential, one of the better young shortstops in the game and a solid, durable 4/5 starter for a couple of draft picks. That is why this deal would be terrible.

Still don't like the trade. We give up too much for what will most likely be a one year rental. And even if he isn't a one year rental we're going to have to give him a boatload of money making it harder to re-sign Weeks, Fielder, Sheets, Capuano, Hall etc.

It is a good amount to give up, but given the value of centerfielders on the open market, you are forced to overpay on the trade market for said merchandise. Also, as I originally stated, McGowan was relegated to untouchable for us last year, and would be the ideal nugget for a one year rental, if it does indeed turn out to be that. And I would have to honestly say that I would trade Hardy for an exponential increase in odds to make and run in the postseason next year.

Gonzalez to the Reds has been confirmed according to ESPN, which in my mind only strengthens the chances of the Blue Jays and Red Sox going after a SS this offseason.

This IMO is one of the more intriguing trade possibilities for the Brewers this offseason.

Archived