Brewer Fanatic

Madison Bumgarner

paul253
I realize that prospect for prospect trades are rare, but wouldn't a trade involving Bumgarner and Mat Gamel make perfect sense for both teams? The Giants are pretty set in pitching but need help on offense. The Brewers offense is strong but they lack pitching. I doubt Gamel alone would get Bumgarner, and since the Giants have Buster Posey I doubt they'd want Salome, but maybe we could throw in another low level pitcher like Rivas, Anundson or Rogers. Bumgarner could likely be a top of the line starter for years to come if he continues to progress, and one make a dynamite 1-2 punch with Gallardo. I'd like to see DM ask about his availability.

I realize that prospect for prospect trades are rare, but wouldn't a trade involving Bumgarner and Mat Gamel make perfect sense for both teams? The Giants are pretty set in pitching but need help on offense. The Brewers offense is strong but they lack pitching. I doubt Gamel alone would get Bumgarner, and since the Giants have Buster Posey I doubt they'd want Salome, but maybe we could throw in another low level pitcher like Rivas, Anundson or Rogers. Bumgarner could likely be a top of the line starter for years to come if he continues to progress, and one make a dynamite 1-2 punch with Gallardo. I'd like to see DM ask about his availability.
Actually the Giants are not willing to part with Bumgarner at all. It would take a lot more than Gamel to bring back Bumgarner probably something around Lawrie and Gamel plus our best pitching prospect to get Bumgarner. The Giants really do overvalue their pitching prospects. For example last year the Giants wanted both Hart and Hardy and in return the Brewers would have gotten Sanchez who IMHO is no better than Parra (potential wise). I don't think the Giants will be looking to part with Bumgarner anytime soon.

Maybe if they fail in their attempts to sign Jason Bay. Their offense was terrible last season. If the offer was right, I don't see why the wouldn't trade him. Obviously it would take more than Gamel, but I'd be willing to part with more than Gamel to get a young pitcher with as much upside as him. We don't have any pitching prospects even close to where he is at so acquiring him would be a huge boost to our staff. I'm sure it may just be a pipe dream, but you never know.

Actually the Giants are not willing to part with Bumgarner at all. It would take a lot more than Gamel to bring back Bumgarner probably something around Lawrie and Gamel plus our best pitching prospect to get Bumgarner. The Giants really do overvalue their pitching prospects. For example last year the Giants wanted both Hart and Hardy and in return the Brewers would have gotten Sanchez who IMHO is no better than Parra (potential wise). I don't think the Giants will be looking to part with Bumgarner anytime soon.
While I generally agree that Bumgarner is a pipe dream of the highest order, the Giants did trade Tim Alderson for Freddy Sanchez, which still boggles my mind. I know Bumgarner is a tier or two above Alderson, but stranger things have happened.

Having said that, I think it would take Lawrie, Gamel and more, as you stated. And I'm not sure that would do it. I think Braun for Bumgarner is closer than Gamel.

• 1 month later...

Miggs I read that too. Buster Posey, Madison Bumgarner, and Matt Cain, for Prince Fielder. Does the Journal just pick these letters out of a hat to print them? Maybe I should come up with the most ridiculous suggestion I can think of so I can get my name in the newspaper. Sheesh.

That being said, I do the Giants would be a good trading partner because of their pitching. They kind of layed an egg with upgrading their offense this season and once again will have to rely heavily on pitching to win. I don't know whether they'd include Bumgarner in a trade, but Prince Fielder is an elite offensive player who won't come cheap. I would not trade Fielder for Bumgarner straight up but if we could get another prospect out of them I'd go for it. Even without Bumgarner, I think something could be worked out.

Somebody brought this up in the sports section this morning....Saying we can't afford Fielder, and we should trade him to SF for Cain, Posey, and Baumgartner....c'mon dude be realistic
Yeah I read that too. It's always nice to read those letters when you're feeling down. Makes you feel a lot better about yourself.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Somebody brought this up in the sports section this morning....Saying we can't afford Fielder, and we should trade him to SF for Cain, Posey, and Baumgartner....c'mon dude be realistic
i'd rather trade prince to texas for neftali feliz, justin smoak and chris davis(since we are just making up trades that will never happen)

There was another letter to the editor today in the JS that irritated me. It wasn't as bad as the "trade Fielder for Cain, Bumgarner, and Posey" guy, but he says "I also don't see teams lining up to trade their best player". Does he not follow the trade deadline? That's all teams do is try to trade their best player, especially when their contracts are set to expire. Someone needs to say to this guy......"Roy Halliday". Then he follows that up with "Are we going to dismiss Ryan Braun in two years when he wants a new contract? You know he will." Apparently he doesn't realize Braun is under contract for 6 more years. Finally "....for someone who one out of every four games and prospects (again with the prospects)". If I could tell him one thing, it would be this. Prince Fielder was a "prospect" once. So was Braun, Hart, Weeks, Hardy, Gallardo, Parra, and Escobar. He acts like if we trade for prospects we are just giving him away, but where does he expect all these future all stars to come from?

Sorry I realize this has nothing to do with Madison Bumgarner, but these letters the JS print every Sunday makes all Brewer fans look like a bunch of morons.

I could see in 3-4 years that maybe he will feel as though he deserves more and wants to renegotiate, but the guy just signed an 8 year deal, what like a year ago? He obviously wants to stay in Milwaukee for awhile and feels as though he received a fair deal. It just irritates me that people like this letter write continue to have this piss poor attitude about the Brewers and act as though 1) that nobody wants to play here and 2) if we trade Prince Fielder we may as well just give up and go back into a full fledged rebuilding mode. He obviously knows nothing about the farm system or the fact that receiving 2 or 3 good prospects can turn a system around. Can you imagine a few years ago if we had made a trade for an all star and in turn gave away prospects Prince Fielder, Yovani Gallardo, and Corey Hart? Think about how those three players could have turned around another team for years to come for giving away a year of an all star. And yes it's true that prospects aren't always a given to produce, but I'd rather obtain 2 or 3 prospects who have already show what they can do in AA or AAA than take a chance on getting as good of a player with the 34th and 47th picks in the draft like we'll get when Fielder walks.

The guy who wrote the letter was my old little league coach. My dad called me and told me the letter was in the paper. He is a Rangers and Brewers fan who wants a Tex like haul for Prince. But Cain, Posey, and Bumgarner.... Come on.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I don't think a Tex like haul is out of the question, but this goes way beyond that. If the Giants called and said "We want Prince and we'll give you Bumgarner, Cain and...." I'd say deal before they got the last name out.

i'd rather trade prince to texas for neftali feliz, justin smoak and chris davis(since we are just making up trades that will never happen)

let me adjust my post, i'd love a trade to texas for justin smoak, neftafi feliz, and chris davis(would be happy to take derek holland instead, but davis would be an ok replacement)

The way I see it, if Prince is traded, we basically need a top flight young pitcher (like everyone has been saying) and one upper level 1B type who can take over for Prince if one of the internal options we have now isn't feasible or doesn't work out (Gamel, McGehee, etc). I assume we'd probably get another pitcher (either a starter or reliever) as a sort of throw in. I think hoping for much more than that is probably somewhat unreasonable.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I would make centerpiece of the deal a pitcher. After that I'd probably go for another pitcher, then probably a position player. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a first basemen because I think Gamel could immediately move to first base and he would finally be able to be an every day player. I actually wouldn't mind three high ceiling pitchers because postion wise it's hard to find a position we have an immediate need for.

• 2 weeks later...
Just picked up MLB 2k10. Too bad real life isn't like video games because I was able to trade Bush and Suppan for Bumgarner and the Giants told me there was no way they could turn down that deal.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Just picked up MLB 2k10. Too bad real life isn't like video games because I was able to trade Bush and Suppan for Bumgarner and the Giants told me there was no way they could turn down that deal.

I think I will be offering that trade as well

Bumgarner is also a 69 overall IIRC. Prospects are really easy to get in those games.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived