Brewer Fanatic

what are you reading?

flosses like fossas
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for detailing that, msc. Sounds really interesting.

I just got Milwaukee Braves: Heroes and Heartbreak for Christmas. It's a Wisconsin Historical Society publication, by William Povletich. I've only had a chance to thumb through it briefly thus far, but holy cow does it look amazing. Lots of good photography included as well. Just awesome for any baseball fan, but especially WI baseball fans. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I finished that book just a little bit back and agree with you on your last statement.

But, on page 75, I am waiting for an answer from the author about why strictly relief pitcher Don McMahon is in a picture referring to the "'57 Braves established a franchise record 199 homers and lead the league in runs and triples while finishing with a .269 team batting average behind the bats of Mathews, Aaron, Hazle, McMahon and Covington." (McMahon in '57 in 10 pa had 2 hits including a 2b and 3 ribs).

I don't know about you, TLB, but this is probably the best book I've read on the Milwaukee Braves. There was also, sometime ago on PBS, a program on the Braves referring to this book.

TLB, here is the response I got back from the author to my question about the picture on p.75 of the book:

Thanks for your interest in my book Milwaukee Braves: Heroes and Heartbreak. I'm glad you're enjoying the read. As I'm sure you've noticed, the book looks to tell the story of the Braves both narratively as well as visually by incorporating a variety of diverse images within the text. Due to the book's limited space, the photo captions not only identify the images but also provide details not included in the manuscript. Therefore, the spirit of the photograph you mentioned with the Braves home run hitters celebrating with relief pitcher Don McMahon looked to not only capture a joyous moment in the locker room, but also explain how potent the team's bats were that season. I appreciate your attention to detail and hope you enjoy the rest of the book.

All the best,
Bill Povletich

... here is the response I got back from the author to my question about the picture on p.75 of the book:

Thanks for your interest in my book Milwaukee Braves: Heroes and Heartbreak. I'm glad you're enjoying the read. As I'm sure you've noticed, the book looks to tell the story of the Braves both narratively as well as visually by incorporating a variety of diverse images within the text. Due to the book's limited space, the photo captions not only identify the images but also provide details not included in the manuscript. Therefore, the spirit of the photograph you mentioned with the Braves home run hitters celebrating with relief pitcher Don McMahon looked to not only capture a joyous moment in the locker room, but also explain how potent the team's bats were that season. I appreciate your attention to detail and hope you enjoy the rest of the book.

All the best,
Bill Povletich

Pretty cool that you got such a candid (if non-commital) response. Once I get back home from holiday vacationing, I plan to dive right into that book. Yes, I forgot to bring it along with me... d'oh!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I recently finished Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson and Indian Killer by Sherman Alexie. Tree of Smoke is probably the best book I've read in the last few years and Indian Killer is good if you like Alexie, which everyone should.

pogokat, Eggers is possibly my third favorite current author and Saunders is definitely my second favorite current author, so my Amazonian "you might also enjoy" suggestion if you're not familiar with him is Jonathan Safran Foer. Everything is Illuminated changed my life the way Breakfast of Champions did.

i've been on a pretty big travel writing kick in the past couple years. i'm reading seven years in tibet right now, and it's pretty good, the cultural insights make up for gaps in time that might otherwise make me more curious.

two of my other highly recommended travel reads are blue highways by wm. least-heat moon (part native american) and red dust by ma jian. amazing stories. anybody read them and/or have any solid travel writing recommendations?

Our Walden Books in Grand Forks is going out of business. I stopped by yesterday and every remaining book was 50%-70% off. The Book of Basketball was only $15. Paperback John Grisham novels were $3.50 each. I also picked up a half a dozen books to give out as gifts in the next year. In total, I think I paid $60 for 10 books (mostly new and mostly hardcover). Now I have plenty of material to get me through the new year.

anybody read them and/or have any solid travel writing recommendations?
you may already know these:

Tim Cahill--Jaguars Ripped My Flesh (his best)

Pete McCarthy--McCarthy's Bar (a travel across Ireland, also vowing to stop at every namesake bar along the way)

Maarten Troost--The Sex Lives of Cannibals

I just finished Third Down And a War TO GO - By Terry Frei

I must say its one of the best, saddest books I have ever read. The book is the real life story of the 1942 Wisconsin Football team, which was very, very successful. It featured two first team all-americans (Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch and Dave Schreiner) and only lost one game in ending the year ranked in the top 5.

What makes this book great is that it follows several players as they were forced (most anyway) to give up college football for the war effort. Several players had great experiances, but many did not. Several did not make it..... Over 50 teammates served in the war effort, and when they returned in 1945, a few came home to play again.

It is a very good book and I would recommend it to anyone. Great for sports fans. I read it in about three days, I just could not put it down.

anybody read them and/or have any solid travel writing recommendations?
you may already know these:

Tim Cahill--Jaguars Ripped My Flesh (his best)

Pete McCarthy--McCarthy's Bar (a travel across Ireland, also vowing to stop at every namesake bar along the way)

Maarten Troost--The Sex Lives of Cannibals

mccarthy's bar has been recommended to me and i feel like i've heard of the sex lives of cannibals. i'll look into them.

• 3 months later...

i'm reviving this topic because i just read the very excellent baseball book 9 innings by daniel okrent. he takes a 1982 game between the brewers and orioles and turnes it into a full-on narrative. check it out.

at present i'm reading the elementary particles by michel houellebecq. it's great so far. anyone read it?

i'm reviving this topic because i just read the very excellent baseball book 9 innings by daniel okrent. he takes a 1982 game between the brewers and orioles and turnes it into a full-on narrative. check it out.
sounds like this will be a great book--just ordered it. i'll be traveling soon and won't get a single baseball update for two months, so this sounds like the perfect book to bring along to feed my baseball fix. I sure hope the Brewers win--but don't tell me! i also finally found a copy of Uecker's Catcher in the Wry, which i'm also looking forward to reading.

I'm currently reading Alan H. Levy's biography of Rube Waddell. I've been on a kick lately to read up on the baseball ancients.

The Waddell book is easy reading and fun, and includes stuff about Rube's days in Milwaukee.

This is on the heels of reading Daniel Levitt's bio of Ed Barrow, which was a difficult read. Lots of stuff about early baseball roster rules and player transactions and contracts, etc.

Waiting on my shelf is the Alexander Cartwright bio and the history of the Federal League.

I'm kind of in between books at this time, but I have to admit that I'm enjoying the heck out of R. Crumb's Book of Genesis. Crumb's art is really a surprisingly good fit for the material, adding an earthiness that really brings the stories to life.

Robert

i am looking to start broadening my reading horizons.

i am looking for suggestions for good reads, with only one criteria:

i am looking for a series with a minimum of 3 books

thanks for any suggestions!

if you're deathly serious, take on proust's in search of lost time. for something a bit less daunting and easier going but still classic, the rabbit series (rabbit, run, rabbit redux, etc.) by john updike.

Archived