Brewer Fanatic

Where would you draw the line with Soriano?

I do think the Brewers are going to be fairly aggressive this winter, I don't know how far they'll get, but I think they'll pursue as many angles as they can.

On Soriano, I don't think there's a lot of debate over whether he'd help Milwaukee, but there is considerable debate over how much is too much when it comes to signing him.

So then, let's say you were Doug Melvin, and Soriano's agent called to say, "He'll sign tomorrow morning, he wants 5 years, $75 million, a no trade clause and a guarantee that he'll play second base."

You've got him if you want him.....do you say "ok" and if you don't, what's the counter offer?

Teams don't get quality free agents by drawing lines. It takes bold risk taking to play the free agent game. The Brewers have to ask themselves whether it's time to start taking some risks.

Heard this little tidbit from Buster Olney (remember he's the same guy that said Monday before the Lee trade that Lee would stay and sign with Brewers so conisider the source):

"The dollars spent this offseason in baseball are going to be shocking. Soriano AND Lee are each likely to get $80-$85 million."

That may or may not be true, but what is true is baseball is healthy financially and the price of poker is going up.

I do expect someone to give Soriano 15M per season, most likely over five years, so an 80M contract wouldn't come as a major surprise to me. I would be a lot more surprised to see it happen for Carlos, but weird things happen in free agency....never forget Denny Neagle.

Quote:
Teams don't get quality free agents by drawing lines. It takes bold risk taking to play the free agent game. The Brewers have to ask themselves whether it's time to start taking some risks.

Good post. Its gotta be time to start taking some risks. If your not going to take risks then we are in the wrong business.

Good post. Its gotta be time to start taking some risks. If your not going to take risks then we are in the wrong business.

Yeah, calculated risks. Betting $80 million that Soriano is going to post an .850 OPS for the next 5 years is not a very good gamble, IMO.

Look, his OPS's the two years prior to this one were .807 and .821 with OBP's of .324 and .309. And that was in a top 5 hitters park. Can you imagine the backlash if we were in the 1st or 2nd year of a 5 year / $80 million dollar deal and the guy was posting a low 800's OPS and a .315 OBP?

Fact is, he is coming off of a career year that he is very unlikely to repeat. I find it crazy to consider giving him $80 million and close to 25% of our payroll. That is a risk that is very unlikely to pay off, IMO.

(Notice I'm against signing Soriano, not signing a top free agent in general. This year would be a good time to sign one, but if a player isn't there, we shouldn't reach.)

I'd go 5 years 75 mil if Soriano will play OF. I thjink he is that good and would be worth the money as an OF. Bringing him in as a 2nd baseman doesn't help us much IMHO.

I'd agree with that. Why not spend the money if he's willing to come here? It would be about time the Brewers pony up some dough to bring in a big-name free agent (not named Jeffrey Hammonds). It's not like its yours or my money. I want to see playoff baseball in Milwaukee and right now, we need a bat we can count on in our lineup. We need playmakers and we need players who will compliment the Weeks' and Fielders' as they grow.

Being one of the most tradeable players in the game and being a name everyone knows the limit is whatever it takes. You play him for a few years and as soon as he starts to slightly decline you move him.

His name is big enough someone will trade for him without having to eat salary. Especially if you don't ask for a lot in return.

Why not spend the money if he's willing to come here? It would be about time the Brewers pony up some dough to bring in a big-name free agent (not named Jeffrey Hammonds). It's not like its yours or my money.

The fact that it's not our money is why looking at it that way is pointless. Any meaningful discussion on the merits of signing a player begins with the assumption that the ownership cares about their money. If you can't conceed that, any further discussion takes place in a fantasy world.

If Mark A. wants to throw money around, I can think of a lot better places to throw it. Assuming Soriano is done with the infield, 4 years and $40-$50 mil is about all Soriano is worth, IMO.

i agree. and soriano won't fuss about being a 2b. i just don't see it happening. and if he really is friends with co co....why not? soriano in left...hall in center.......hart in right...... braun at third and hardy at shortstop..

now just think if we got both arod and soriano this year...........http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

just kidding.. lets focus on one .. and i think it should be soriano because we need a power bat in the outfield.

Soriano will most certainly command a 5 year deal. That said, he most certainly will not be a Brewer next year.

It would be different if we proved something this year by making the playoffs (or just missing them) and staying healthy. The risk of signing a Soriano, in that scenario, and hoping he comes close to duplicating last year's numbers for a few more years might be worth it. However, after an injury-plagued campaign in '06 and not really knowing what Weeks and Hardy are capable of doing for a full season, the Soriano signing just doesn't seem to fit.

Archived