Brewer Fanatic

Lastings Milledge

pogokat

The Mets appear to be looking for suitors for Lastings Milledge, or at least are open to the thought of trading him...for the time being, it appears that his price tag has gone down a good deal

now, i'm not saying that lastings could be had for Mench, but i think Capuano and a prospect might be enough to get him...

He struggled a bit in the majors last year, but he wasn't terrible and his minor league stats are all very good for a Cfer

I'm not sure the Brewers could get him, but I think he would be much better to acquire than dave Roberts...

Quote:
New York and listening to the Media

the kid is 21 and rich...

he isnt as much trouble as elijah dukes...and he's no josh hamilton or rae carruth, so i think he's probably ok...

he probably just needs to mature---and if his "trouble" is enough to get him to milwaukee, i can live with it..

I would rather have Milledge then Pierre for sure.

I might prefer Roberts at the right price, but Milledge would be very tempting none the less.

I remember following him a bit before the 2003 draft and all of the conversation on this board about huge potential. He is still really young and there is nothing I see that would indicate he won't start to achieve some of that potential in the near future.

His stats from last year are not pretty, but that was in his first 166 big league at bats. He had a big year in 2004 at single A (posting a 978 OPS) and had solid 2005 campaign in AA batting .337

I don't know if I would give up Cappy, but I would do Doug Davis + change. The money we would save on Davis and in CF could allow us to chase a true impact bat in the FA pool.

Milledge could easily become part of our young core and help Milwaukee for years to come. If he struggles then let Gross, Clark, Hall, or Hart take over in CF.

edit: I would hope that coaches, managment, and the positive influences of other "young and rich," but well behaved guys like Prince and Weeks would help him mature a bit.

I have to admit to being a bit stunned at how many people think the 2007 Brewers will be improved by dismantling the pitching rotation.

To me, there's no way the Brewers can afford to trade Sheets, Capuano, Davis or Bush without having a comparable replacement waiting in the wings, unless we're already playing for 2008.

I like the look of Villanueva, but six starts isn't enough to guarantee him a starting spot. If that small a sample is enough to judge that accurately then Eveland and Jackson shouldn't even get a sniff of the rotation. My point is that we really have no clue how they'll do, and the other youngsters are still a year or so off. Giving up one of the established starters (probably placing more pressure on the bullpen in the process) to get a position player is just asking for more of the same for 2007, especially someone who hasn't proven a thing at the major league level - never mind "throwing in" a prospect for the privilege. If I'm giving up a 28 year old left handed starter with a proven track record as (at least) a #3 starter, who is three seasons away from being a free agent AND a prospect, I'd better be getting something more than a risky prospect who has a reported attitude problem.

I'm not against making a trade (OK, I'm against this one), but I am against filling one hole by creating another one.

Quote:
However, if we trade Davis, who wants more than he is worth to us right now, we can turn Jenkins and Mench into some experienced pitching until the kids are ready

I was personally more concerned about giving Capuano away than Davis but if (and it's a big if) we could get a comparable starter for Jenkins and/or Mench, moving Davis would be OK. As I said before, I don't think it's a good idea to just move holes around on your roster, or potentially create extra ones. The only condition I would have would be that the combination of moves leaves you clearly better off than standing pat would have.

Of course, Doug Melvin appears to be nobody's fool, so I doubt he'd do anything stupid...

Milledge would be a great pickup, but the Mets have been reluctant to trade him before (for good reason).

But as others have pointed out, easier said than done. Capuano and a prospect may make it work, but that's a lot to give up, as I don't like the idea of moving Cappy.

If they would take Davis, I would do it. Davis is comparable to Zito, who they supposedly are going to offer $100 million for. Davis could be signed for much, much less than that. However, they might prefer to spend the $100 million and hold on to Milledge.

Actually, Davis for Milledge seems to make sense for both teams. The question is whether Davis would be a big enough name to sooth Mets fans who would be upset after all the Milledge hype and the Kazmir debacle. I don't think he is.

Quote:
Actually, Davis for Milledge seems to make sense for both teams.

How does it make sense for the Brewers if there's no other deal to bring in a pitcher of comparable quality and durability to Davis? I'm not trying to claim Davis is a stud or anything, but you've just created a hole in the #3 spot of the Brewers' rotation with no-one to fill it. So to get a potential upgrade in CF, you've weakened the starting rotation and probably put more pressure on the bullpen by removing someone you could count on to pitch 200+ innings.

As I've said before, a deal like this only makes sense if it's done in concert with other moves that clearly leave the team as a whole better than it started. If you don't do that, why stockpile other teams with talent? You might just as well stand pat and wait another year or so for more young talent to come up.

Perhaps it all comes down to the (inflated IMHO) opinion that some have here of Milledge. I've seen far too many "can't miss" prospects never make it or never be more than ordinary, either because of talent or attitude, to be excited about Milledge yet. It's funny - I'm used to seeing prospects traded for quality major leaguers. I'm not used to seeing quality major leaguers being traded for a single prospect, as some here seem to want to do.

Colby had it right - you can like Milledge better than I do, but you shouldn't give up too much for him at this time...

I've heard of one report that had them talking to the Orioles about Lopez (or vice versa perhaps). The talks apparently went nowhere and there was no indication which side shied away.

Under those circumstances, I think that's not the best assumption to make, but that's just me.

For me, I'd prefer/hope to expand the trade to Davis and Jenkins for Milledge and Heilman. Mets may be looking for another corner OF bat to replace Floyd, if they are unable to get a Soriano, Lee or Drew, hopefully they might consider Jenkins.

Quote:
That was the one specific report, but it was also reported that adding some arms and dealing Davis was the general plan.

Yes, but I'd feel more confident in it had it come from a source other than the only report that claimed we were interested in Lopez, which itself seems to make sense to very few of us. It just sounds like "here's why the Brewers would want such a lousy pitcher".

With the Florida Marlins attempting to procure a long term fixture in center, could the Brewers have an easier time trading for Hermida than Lastings? I have heard of nothing of his availability, and perhaps they intend to put him in a corner, but my understanding was that he was a CF.

The Mets are reportedly close to signing Moises Alou, which will give them one crazy offense.

And that fills up their OF with Green and RF and Beltran in CF. The Mets don't have to move Milledge, as he could use more time in AAA and might be a valuable asset off of the bench as he learns the ropes, but for the immediate future its possible he could be had.

Don't try to push Jenkins or Mench on them, that ain't gonna happen. You would have to be talking about pitching, and I'm not sure the two teams are a good fit for one another. Maybe Doug Davis.

If the Mets are really counting on Shawn Green next year, I will be very disappointed. He's become pretty terrible and arguably cost them a championship this year with his atrocious fielding. He should be a bench player at best.

Archived