Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign C Matt Treanor to minor league deal w/ST invite

battlekow

This off season is very puzzling to me. That is all.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Does this foreshadow trading one of the young catchers? Or could they be unsure of using Kotteras as the backup behind Zaun? It seems like they have plenty of options and if he makes the team he likely woudn't be that much cheaper than Rivera.

I don't think this means anything. Neither Kottaras nor Treanor is in the teams long term plans. I am guessing one of them will start the season backing up Zaun, and then be either sent down or released when Lucroy is ready to come up. I think Salome may be traded, but I don't think this signing will have any effect on whether or not he is.

If there is even one Misty May-Treanor sighting at Miller Park this signing will be totally worth it.

Doug certainly likes his catchers this offseason. We essentially have Zaun, Kottaras, Treanor, Salome, and Lucroy for 4 spots in AAA and MLB. I highly doubt both Salome and Lucroy are playing in AAA so Treanor might end up being a AAA or MLB backup.

Still not sure where Salome is going to end up, I just don't think he will be with the Crew much longer. He is an AL player and would make a lot of sense for the Mariners, or any other AL team in need of a young, cheap, talented hitter. Maybe include him in some sort of Morrow swap.

fondybrewfan wrote:

Still not sure where Salome is going to end up, I just don't think he will be with the Crew much longer. He is an AL player and would make a lot of sense for the Mariners, or any other AL team in need of a young, cheap, talented hitter. Maybe include him in some sort of Morrow swap.

I don't think Salome is going to be just an AL player, I think he will be fine defensively at catcher. I hope they don't give up on him yet, he had a rough season injury wise last season, but hit well for large parts of the season, and absolutely dominated in AA the season before. His main knock on his d is his game calling, but he threw out 32% of the baserunners, and from everything I've ever heard is a very hard worker w/ a great attitude. I hope and think that the signing of a career AAAA player like Matt Treanor doesn't mean much of anything for a guy w/ the upside of Angel Salome.

If there is even one Misty May-Treanor sighting at Miller Park this signing will be totally worth it.

I see her and Walsh around here occasionally (after the AVP Hermosa final two years ago I turned around and Walsh was standing right next to me with ice wrapped around her shoulder - she is a legit 6'3"). Misty May I liken to Mia Hamm, who I have also met (sat next to her and Nomar at the bar of a popular local restaurant). Reasonably cute, but nothing special in person.

Then again, this is LA - a West LA "5" is about a Milwaukee "9", so maybe it is a good reason for you guys to get excited. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Maybe if she brings an airbrusher with her. I'm amazed to hear that anyone finds Misty May even remotely attractive.

Wait, this is the off-topic forum, right?

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Archived