Brewer Fanatic

Meltdown Bradley to SEA, Carlos Silva to CHN

Funketown

http://www.mlbtraderumors...lking-bradley-trade.html

Looks like another excellent trade from Jack Z. From what I've read, the Cubs will be taking on all of Silva's $24MM, and the Mariners all of Bradley's $21MM. Silva has been pretty brutal over the past few years. I would think this trade makes the Cubs at least two wins worse, unless there is more to the deal.

If this is truly all there is to it, I am a happy man.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a great trade for the Mariners. Especially if they aren't sending much money with Silva. There must have been no market for Bradley if Silva is all the Cubs could get in return.

Bradley in a down year has an OBP of .378, in a "down" year. He posted his first OPS+ of below 100 for the first time since 02, and his previous 2 seasons he posted a 154 and 161 OPS+.

Jack Z is going like a man possessed. This is quite an impressive offseason for him.

Silva isn't as bad as his last 2 seasons ERA suggests, he has that type of skillset that is going to jump all over the place from an ERA standpoint. Having said that this is clearly a terrible deal for the Cubs. Mariners have upgraded their team a lot but most of it has just been throwing money and prospects around without a clear winner or loser, this one they come out a clear winner in my book.

The Cubs are likely happy to get anything of even a little value for Bradley.

you know, back when he was with the twins, i too thought Silva might have some value. Then i watched him pitch more. good luck cubbies. try to keep him away from the buffet.

The Bavasi years are almost gone for Seattle. That's tough to imagine. Now if they had only drafted right. Everytime i see Morrow, damn if I don't think what might have been if they had gone with local boy Lincecum instead.

Silva has had only 1 season with and ERA+ of above 100 once in the last 4 seasons and that was a 102. The other 3 season he put up an ERA+ of 50, 65 and 75. I just don't see how there is anyway he has an ERA of below 5, and it very likely could be much higher than that. (Now that i've said that watch him have a massive career rejuvination.

edit: The deal is much better looking now that the Cubs are saving 9M. Silva plus a player the Cubs can sign for about 5 million isn't a bad deal at all. (Rick Ankiel?)

This is such a great deal for the Mariners. Even by sending the Cubs $9 million, they still are only paying Bradley $3 million per year more than they would have had to pay Silva, who is basically totally worthless (at least to Seattle. They have 4-5 other guys who project as 5th starters (Olson, French, Vargas, Fister, etc.)). Considering the fact that guys like LaTroy Hawkins, Brandon Lyon, and Garrett Atkins have all recently signed for more than that per year, this makes a lot of sense for the Mariners. Also, they won't have to suffer through having a Suppan-esque anchor on their pitching staff for the next 2 years.

What great news to start the weekend. Excuse me, I am off to read NSBB and brighten my day even further.
Funny, that was the first thing I did after reading the trade. I'm not quite as excited now that I know the Cubs will receive $9MM, but still.

The fan projections on Fangraphs currently estimate Bradley to be worth 3.0 wins next year. Pegging him at 2.0 the year after, that's five wins for the Mariners over 2 years. I think a generous projection to Silva gives him 1.5 wins next year and 1.0 wins the year after. That's a 2.5 win loss over two years for the Cubs to cut $5MM from payroll.

Silva's stats in the Venezuelan winter league as of today: 9 IP, 16 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 3 HR, 3 BB, 2 SO.

Suppan suddenly doesn't look so bad.

Honestly I think unless he shows something in ST, the Cubs will cut Silva. Silva's been bad enough that he could be cut and not incur a protest from the player's union. As disruptive as Bradley was, if they had just released him, the union would have objected on Bradley's behalf.

wow, what an epically bad trade for the Cubs. Bradley is still a quality major leaguer, Silva shouldn't have a place on any team's roster. I wonder if this spells the end of the Hendry era in Chicago? I sure hope not.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Jack Z is sure making a splash but if he can't sign Lee to an extension and once Bradley starts complaining about whatever is bothering him at the time it could blow up on him quite quickly. He's got guts doing what he's done. I'll give him that but there is a reason no other team would touch Bradley and he gave up a fair bit to get Lee if he only has him for one year. It's not like it's the trade deadline and he was in a pennant race.

I think the Cubs made out like bandits in this deal. They got rid of a cancer and save themselves 6 million or so on the deal. Pretty good days work if you ask me. They can always DFA Silva if they can't move him.

I don't think Zduriencik has planned at any point on extending Lee. The reason the Phils shipped Lee out (reportedly) is that Lee had told them he's going to FA no matter what. I think Jack saw a shot to take the AL West in 2010, and took it. It appears the M's value the comp. picks they'll get for Lee more than the three prospects they shipped out to bring him in.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived