Brewer Fanatic

Juan Pierre

It's only a matter of time before Juan Pierre's name comes up, who was tossed around quite a bit around these parts a year ago. He's a FA now, although I have no clue if the Cubs intend to re-sign him.

Now, I'm not especially huge on Pierre, but he might fit the type of player Doug Melvin is reportedly going to look for this offseason (higher batting average, fewer strikeouts, more speed). To his credit, he does hit very well, and hardly strikes out at all while being one of the better basestealers in baseball during his career.

However he makes a ton of outs because he just doesn't draw many walks. If he could ever learn to get on base more he could be one of the best leadoff hitters of all time. Since he doesn't, his value is constantly in debate.

And that's another huge question. Last year he made $5.75M, which is only going to go up next year after posting a career high in doubles (32) while tieing his career best in triples (13) and home runs (too few to mention) while posting his second base SB total (5http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/glasses.gif . Now 29 years old, he's a .303/.350/.377 hitter during his career and averages more than 50 SBs a season. That's a hard contract to swallow given his productivity, and it will be interesting to see what he signs for this offseason.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No thanks. Honestly, I think the low K thing is PR by Melvin, anyway. If he really felt that way, he wouldn't have been fine with leading off Weeks, having Branyan on his team for a year and a half, playing Hall all the time, Jenkins all the time, having no problem with Fielder playing right away, etc. Hall/Weeks/Fielder is the foundation, and they're always going to be high K hitters, so the team is always going to be high in K's, like Sexson/Jenkins/Burnitz was.

I actually would like to add Juan Pierre just because he fills so many holes (CF, leadoff hitter, team speed, contact hitter) and adds some balance to a lineup full of strikeout prone sluggers. But I agree that a Jenkins-like contract would be overpaying, especially considering the obvious holes in his game (low SLG, noodle arm, insufficient walks...).

I know that Pierre is not an "OPS God" but the Brewers could do much worse (and they have in the recent past). If he would sign for 6-7million I would welcome him with open arms for 2-3 years.

He gets on base at a decent clip, is always a doubles and triples threat, gets in the pitchers head, steals the bases that the pitcher worries about and plays a pretty darn good center field.

I would take him over TGJ, Hart (he belongs in a corner spot) or Gross (like Hart, corner of'r).

Just my $.02

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

To me I rather take a chance on signing Kenny Loften to a 1 or 2 yr deal. Granted he is 40 yrs old but he would fill center & leadoff postions plus he could coach TGJ . If TGJ starts hitting Loften could always be traded(probally much easier than Pierre could if he gets a big contract). Just my take.

I really can't stand the type-casting that goes with being a leadoff hitter. In order to be one, you apparently have to be a skinny, fast, CF. You don't even have to get on base.

Kevin Youkilis is a fat slow guy, and he hit leadoff, and scored more runs (100 to 87) than Juan Pierre. Because he gets on base (91 BB to 32).

Kevin Youkilis is a fat slow guy, and he hit leadoff, and scored more runs (100 to 87) than Juan Pierre. Because he gets on base (91 BB to 32).

There you go again, clouding the debate with meaningless facts.

Until they learn to measure heart and grit...

;)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how bad this guy's arm really is in CF. I still remember a game earlier this year where the Cubs lost on a 280 foot Sac Fly that Pierre 8-hopped (rolled) a throw to the plate. No thanks.

He's not a bad player, but he does have weaknesses.

His weaknesses outweight his stregths.

The Brewers could do much worse (and they have in the recent past).

Here's a comparison:

2003 - Podsednik - .314 / .379 / .443 / .822 / 43 SB / 10 CS

2004 - Podsednik - .244 / .313 / .364 / .677 / 70 SB / 13 CS

2005 - Clark - .306 / .372 / .426 / .798 / 10 SB / 13 CS

2006 - Team Leadoff - .244 / .317 / .367 / .684 / 20 SB / 10 CS

(.317 OBP out of the leadoff spot? I wonder why our offense stunk.)

2006 - Juan Pierre - .292 / .330 / .388 / .717 / 58 SB / 20 CS

He may be an upgrade over what we marched out last year, but I'd take Hall or Gross over him anyday.

He gets on base at a decent clip.

.330 is not good for a leadoff hitter, and when his CS are factored in, it gets even lower.

steals the bases that the pitcher worries about

A basestealing threat on 1B actually hurts the batter, statistically.

plays a pretty darn good center field.

Bill Hall can play any position, so I would vote we put him at rover so he can relay all of Pierre's throws.

People realize that with no one on, a K is the same as any other out, right? Having a leadoff hitter who doesn't K basically adds no value, especially in the NL

Speed players typically age very poorly. I wouldn't want to sign Pierre to more than a 1 year deal, if at all.

Pierre doesnt seem to play well when the weather is cold. Sounds stupid, but it just takes one look at his career numbers to think that it just might be fact. The guy doesnt get it going till his team is already out of the race. To me that says he is not a winner. As a leadoff hitter you need to find a way to get on base and get rallies started. It takes a certain personality to do that.

He really doesnt do much for me. While he has crazy range in CF, he has a weak and inaccurate arm. The 2 cancel eachother out.

His leadoff skills were NOT impressive last year, in fact if I am not mistaken, he was even moved to the #2 spot in the order for a month or 2 last year.

I think he will make far too much money for what he does.

Pierre doesnt seem to play well when the weather is cold. Sounds stupid, but it just takes one look at his career numbers to think that it just might be fact.

Juan Pierre, Career:

[b] AVG OBP SLG OPS[/b] April .290 .347 .352 .699 May .283 .332 .350 .683 June .272 .323 .341 .664 July .336 .383 .418 .801 August .290 .335 .369 .704 September .334 .375 .418 .793

I don't see it.

If Pierre isnt getting on base he is worthless. He doesnt drive runs in, he creates runs. He has always been a 2nd half player. These numbers dont lie.

Pre All Star .275 .321 .361 .682

Post All-Star .311 .340 .418 .758

Pre All Star .266 .314 .353 .666

Post All-Star .287 .340 .355 .695

Pre All Star .298 .359 .380 .739

Post All-Star .359 .391 .438 .829

Pre All Star .298 .358 .361 .719

Post All-Star .316 .366 .389 .755

Pre All Star .271 .315 .310 .625

Post All-Star .312 .359 .393 .752

Archived