Brewer Fanatic

Opening Day Starters?

TheFyl
With these pitchers moving about and what not, I'd just like to discuss a few new opening day starters. King Felix or Cliff Lee? Doc or Hamels? (I'm thinking Doc here) Randy Wolf or Gallardo? Becket or Lester or Lackey? Any other teams worth questioning who will be on the mound to open the season?

Out of the listed I would go with Felix, Doc, Gallardo and Lester.

Atlanta should be interesting as well between Vazquez, Hudson, Jurrjens and Hanson though I'm guessing Vazquez will get that start.

Carpenter and Wainwright for the Cardinals.

Buehrle and Peavy for the White Sox.

Yeah, I think in most cases when you bring in another very good pitcher via Free Agency, or trade you should go with the incumbent as your starting pitcher. Puts added pressure on the newcomer.

So I'd go with Felix over Lee(plus I think Felix is better). I'd go with Lester over Lackey. Buehrle over Peavy although Peavy's been there for about a half of season.

For the Cards, gotta go with Carp.

I want to see Gallardo and I think it's time we take the leesh off there.

As for the Braves, that one's a little tougher. I would go with Hudson or Lowe to be honest, but I'm a big fan of both.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

If Macha starts Wolf over Gallardo, that's a real slap in the face to Yovani. Also, disregarding the fact that Gallardo is better, Brewer fans don't care about Randy Wolf, we care about our homegrown Yovani. The same thing applies in Seattle so I would assume Felix will start. To start a guy in his first year with the team over a better pitcher who has been in the organization for years and is a fan favorite is the definition of a slap in the face.

If Macha starts Wolf over Gallardo, that's a real slap in the face to Yovani. Also, disregarding the fact that Gallardo is better, Brewer fans don't care about Randy Wolf, we care about our homegrown Yovani. The same thing applies in Seattle so I would assume Felix will start. To start a guy in his first year with the team over a better pitcher who has been in the organization for years and is a fan favorite is the definition of a slap in the face.

Well, I think the issue is more the established guy vs the first year guy who's a little bit better.

I think it's clear if the incumbent is the superior pitcher, then you go with him.

And to Bruce, I completely agree. Last year Yo was a guy who hadn't been up for a full year. I didn't like the reason, but I can understand it. This year there is nothing, no reason to not start him opening day.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

If everything stays as is I could see Macha going with Wolf in order to have Gallardo pitch between Wolf and Parra. I'd personally go with Gallardo and use Bush to break up Wolf and Parra.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I would think Macha will use Gallardo as the Opening Day starter. He doesn't really seem to think Gallardo is even a #2 yet though(about 0:50 in). He also was pretty happy with Looper last year.(about 1:08 in) Link

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived