Brewer Fanatic

County Stadium seats get new life

Brian Otten

And on a personal note, I returned my County Stadium seats. I don't remember how much I paid for the pair, but it was enough to make it worth returning them from Wausau to Milwaukee (the two seats were sandwiched between sawed-off half-seats). Not enough of a carpenter/engineer to figure out how to do much with them other than let them collect dust in my basement.

I'm living here in Whiskey Rapids and I'm VERY pumped about having a local team to watch. I went to the press conference last night and the owners and community reps are saying all of the right things. Hopefully this town will show the support to keep the team here for years to come and be successful. Now we just have to think of a name.....

Rapids (my hometown) can draw about 65,000 people from the Wisconsin Rapids/Nekoosa/Port Edwards/Vesper and surrounding rural areas, if I remember correctly. Add to that that Stevens Point and Plover are just a few miles down the road, and the baseball team at Stevens Point as a possible recruitment source, I think the team has a chance. For the town's sake, I sure hope it does. My dad used to watch the Wisconsin Rapids Twins on that field. I have an autographed ball from one of the teams back then, although the only name I can make out is "Mo Hill."

It still bothers me that the Wausau Woodchucks were renamed the Wisconsin Woodchucks a few years ago. Most of the teams in the Northwoods League are in Wisconsin...what makes Wausau the "Wisconsin" team?

I would agree, the name does not seem appropriate. At the time when the Wausua Woodchucks became the "Wisconsin Woodchucks," they were the only Wisconsin team in the Northwoods League. The Kenosha and Manitowoc franchises had folded and the current slate of Wisconsin NWL teams did not yet exist. I guess the Woodchucks saw the name change as an opportunity to reach out to a larger fan base.

• 4 weeks later...
Just as Wiz's dad did, I attended a fair number of games back in the 70's. The thing is few games were well attended, and then it was due to local businesses buying up blocks of tickets and distributing them for free to the public. Many of those businesses are gone. Also, those were the days before expanded cable and internet. Should be interesting to see what interest currently exists.

I have a lot more confidence in WR survival now that I hear the owners may not care if they make money.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I see them being near the bottom in attendance, but if it's a civic pride thing, that will not matter.

• 2 months later...

Archived