Brewer Fanatic

Zduriencik Is the New Beane

Mass Haas

Blengino was the man in his all-too-brief time as the Brewers' northeast scout before moving into the Milwaukee front office and eventually Seattle --

Mark Rogers (crosses fingers)

Angel Salome

Zach Braddock

Steve Garrison (Padres, Linebrink deal)

Darren Ford (Giants' 40-man, Durham deal)

All from a normally difficult part of the country to procure talent from regularly.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One reason I'm skeptical that the closer role will go away is that players can make so much more money as closers. The save stat is one that imo will need to be devalued by organizations if they don't want to keep paying through the nose for 'closers'.

Even if it is devalued, my gut feeling is that the vast majority to all team will continue using the same structure of a set rotation involving a setup guy or two followed by a closer instead of say just using any reliever when a manager thinks it's time to use his best guys whether it's the 7th inning or 9th.

• 7 months later...
I think a lot of the Jack Z praise is going to calm down when the Mariners aren't a contender this year. The rotation is still a complete mess, the bullpen

isn't that good. They gave up a large part of their young talent and the lineup still lacks any kind of power. He is going to look amazing compared to

their old GM but that team is still heavily flawed and some of his deals haven't been that great.

Endder's looking like Nostradamus with this post. Just thought it'd be interesting to re-visit what people think of Jack Z now that the 2010 season is basically over.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Here's the latest on him from Ken Rosenthal:

"We’re not thinking about changing the general manager at all," Mariners president Chuck Armstrong told FOXSports.com. Armstrong said that Zduriencik works under an "evergreen" contract that rolls over each season, but it doesn't sound like he's going to make any changes this winter. It's been a disappointing and chaotic season for the Mariners in many respects, ranging from their place in the standings to the controversy surrounding the acquisition of prospect pitcher Josh Lueke in the Cliff Lee deal. It looks like Jack Z will survive all of the drama, at least for now, but his job security is a bit more tenuous than it was a year ago.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

All his good luck from his first year caught up with him in year two. They didn't give up anything to get Cliff Lee and got Smoak back for him. I don't want to go back through the whole thread, but did anyone anywhere predict Silva to be anything resembling a MLB pitcher this year?

Speaking of predictions, though. I really don't think Ackley is gonna be all that great.

Archived