Brewer Fanatic

Gagne

brettac1

Any interest?

Free-agent RHP Eric Gagne, coming off back and shoulder surgeries, has started to throw and has drawn "a lot of interest," according to agent Scott Boras. Gagne will seek a one-year contract in hopes of re-establishing his eight-figure annual value before he hits the market again next winter.

Seems pretty low-risk, high-reward. I'd guess he'll get a few million, plus incentives, but if he were to work out, it'd be worth it, and if he didn't, it's only a one year commitment.

The Brewers wouldn't lose their first rounder, though, because they're too high in the round.

In regards to the "nobody wants to pay anyone more than a pizza guy" thing, the difference here is that Gagne has the ability to be a dominant reliever, and it's only a one year commitment, and likely won't be that high of a dollar amount.

Because he would help this year and not be much of a risk, and the Brewers could either get comp picks for him (since he is certainly looking for a long-term deal and would decline arby if he had a great year), or even trade him if they were out of it at the deadline (a distinct possibility).

I don't think having him come in and dominate like he used to could be termed as "pains", if he were able to do so. If he isn't, no big deal (like Kolb in 2006, only with much higher upside, and probably a little higher price tag).

My guess is that in the current environment someone will write him an oversized check for one year gambling that he'll be healthy and can be a force. I could find a way to drop 6 million or so on him if I was Cashman.

I would love Gagne but I think he once likened Milwaukee to a AAA team and said something about some hotel having ghosts and asked why the Dodgers still stayed there said something to the effect of "its Milwaukee, they arent a whole lot of other places to stay." But I would definitely be interested if I was Melvin.

Archived