Brewer Fanatic

mariners' brandon morrow targeted by brewers?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like I just alluded to in another thread, Gamel will probably only be traded for a legit starter. A guy whose future seems hazy at best like Morrow, it just doesn't make sense at this point. There's no enough upside there for the Brewers to move one of their best prospects. They may be desperate for pitching, but I hope not that desperate.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Gamel is being overrated by Brewer fans, IMO.

Gamel projects to be a .280-20-80 type MLB hitter without a defensive home.

That caliber of player can be easily replaced on a yearly basis via free agency.

If we can get a young starting pitcher with potential for him, we need to go for it.

Seattle fans naturally overrate Brandon Morrow, just like Brewer fans do for Gamel, however if you'd read through non-Seattle/Milwaukee biased message boards regarding this rumor, you'll see that must people feel Seattle would want more than someone like Mat Gamel for Brandon Morrow.

MLB Trade Rumors Link

Forecasting RBI & pretending like that has some descriptive value seems like a waste of time to me. Watching him play, imo he clearly has the tools to be a special defender at 3B, along with lots of BBs & power (more of a 30-HR guy than 20) at the plate. Of course, he's a guy that K's a good amount too. I think he could easily turn in a .250/.350/.450/.800 line in 2010, but Melvin seems to be in love with McGehee, so I'm still guessing Gamel gets dealt.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am personally doubting Gamel gets dealt at this point. I think he'll be starting the year in AAA. We really haven't heard any rumblings this off-season about him being traded, other than this deal for Morrow, which I don't believe makes any sense.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

All this debate about whether Morrow is ever going to be a competent starter because of the combination of rapid ascension and off-the-field (non-character) player issues reminds me of another talented gent there was talk of being available 2-3 years ago. He ascended quickly to the majors, had an amazing arm, was unspectacular in his initial tastes of the majors and because of the off-the-field problems, he was relegated to being a bullpen swingman. AL Cy Young winner Zack Greinke. Given how poorly he's been managed by the Mariners, I could see him flourishing in a new organization. But I would be very reluctant to trade Gamel, considering he is the full-time fallback option if McGehee was a one-year wonder. I would imagine building a package around Hart and adding three of our more interesting arms would be kosher for both sides. We have a mini-abundance (is that an oxymoron?) of young pitchers, many of whom were tabbed by Jack Z. Scarpetta/Peralta/Braddock would be my untouchables, along with hopefully Rogers/Jeffress. But that still leaves Odorizzi/Anundsen/Rivas/Butler/Aguilar/Periard/Nieves.

Hart + Odorizzi/Nieves or Anundsen/Rivas

The Mariners could certainly use some pitching prospects after their recent Cliff Lee trade. Jack knows our system so he should be interested in a few of our arms. But for Gamel? I think I would have to pass.

I wouldn't object all that much to a straight up Gamel for Morrow swap but I would like to think we could get more.

Maybe even make it Gamel and Salome for Morrow and a Mariners 1st Base prospect (If they have a good one left that is) 1st Base is the immediate position I think the Crew is short on in the minors while our catching prospects are pretty abundant. So if we could expand this to get a good potential replacement for Prince I would be for it. Maybe they have to bring a 3rd team in.

Something like that I would be more in favor of, but I still don't get why everyone is so fascinated by Morrow. If he can't be a starter on a consistent basis, I really do not see the point. We already have a stocked bullpen and plenty of reliever options in the minors.

I like Gamel, but if the Brewers thought he was special, they would clear a spot for him. This is the year to do it; Gamel is young, but not that young. 24, 25 is the age that truly elite prospects make their jump. To open a spot, they would trade McGehee or Hart. BC of the Figgins signing and the Bradley trade, I do not think Seattle is a taker for Hart or Casey. Gamel for Morrow does not make sense for either side.

He ascended quickly to the majors, had an amazing arm, was unspectacular in his initial tastes of the majors and because of the off-the-field problems, he was relegated to being a bullpen swingman. AL Cy Young winner Zack Greinke

Their situations are different, though. Greinke's SAD was keeping him from pitching effectively at all, not really impacting his stamina. Greinke was ineffective because his mental problem wouldn't allow him to fully utilize his physical gifts. Morrow, on the other hand, has been able to utilize his best stuff & velocity (unlike Greinke). These are really two entirely different situations imo, aside from both being unique health problems.

SI story on Greinke

You can even check Greinke's avg. FB velocities here, and Morrow's here, just as some support for what I'm saying.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Something like that I would be more in favor of, but I still don't get why everyone is so fascinated by Morrow. If he can't be a starter on a consistent basis, I really do not see the point. We already have a stocked bullpen and plenty of reliever options in the minors.

I don't agree with the perception that he can't be a starter on a consistent basis. He was starting games in Tacoma and Seattle for the entire 2nd half of 2009, and finished the season with a fantastic game (8IP, 1H, 0 ER).

If he was so much opposed to starting games because of the diabetes and felt the team was putting his health at risk, he would have filed a grievance with the union. Seems to me that he's found a way to work through it. Admittedly, I don't know how it feels to deal with that ailment but players have done it before - Adam Morrison is a good example, he was able to manage things well enough to play a 2-hour basketball game.

Either way, I'm sure Doug & Gord would do their due diligence and talk to him before finalizing any deal.

I'll say it again...if we're going to trade Gamel, it had better be for a guy we can count on to be a consistent SP. Morrow just has too many question marks at this point to make me excited about trading for him.

I think sometimes we hear about possible trade targets and, as fans, we try to just look at the positives and talk them up as much as possible, in order to get excited about them. That can be a dangerous trap to fall into, though.

Forecasting RBI & pretending like that has some descriptive value seems like a waste of time to me. Watching him play, imo he clearly has the tools to be a special defender at 3B, along with lots of BBs & power (more of a 30-HR guy than 20) at the plate. Of course, he's a guy that K's a good amount too. I think he could easily turn in a .250/.350/.450/.800 line in 2010, but Melvin seems to be in love with McGehee, so I'm still guessing Gamel gets dealt.

I agree, but knowing the general opinion of the board about Gamel and his various defensive metrics, I didn't bother to make this argument, but he looked worlds better at 3rd than I thought he would and than it sounded like he would look according to scouts.

I wish McGehee would be the one getting dealt, but we shall see. I think Gamel would be an outstanding 1st basemen by the way in the event that we're actually left with two quality 3B(or 3 when Mr. Green comes up as I'm a big fan of his as well).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I wish McGehee would be the one getting dealt, but we shall see. I think Gamel would be an outstanding 1st basemen by the way in the event that we're actually left with two quality 3B(or 3 when Mr. Green comes up as I'm a big fan of his as well).

I would almost always trade prospects for proven MLB talent but if Gamel is not going to be traded this year, he will be the fall back option for firstbase if we can't sign Prince and end up trading him.

And I would trade Gamel for Morrow straight up if we can't get an established #3 starter for Gamel and we can sign Prince.

Archived