Brewer Fanatic

mariners' brandon morrow targeted by brewers?

I would trade Mat Gamel for Brandon Morrow in a heartbeat.

A young, cost controled starting pitcher is much more valuable than a young, cost controled average hitter without a defensive home.

The Brewers could simply sign a free agent veteran hitter to man RF/3B for a reasonable price, whereas, a pitcher with an upside of a 2-3 starter would cost us Randy Wolf type money.

Look at the Brewers minor league system. We have plenty of bats in the system that could replace a departed Gamel (Taylor Green, for example)

We have zero major league ready pitchers in the minors to help for this year or next.

Zero.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would trade Mat Gamel for Brandon Morrow in a heartbeat.

A young, cost controled starting pitcher is much more valuable than a young, cost controled average hitter without a defensive home.

The Brewers could simply sign a free agent veteran hitter to man RF/3B for a reasonable price, whereas, a pitcher with an upside of a 2-3 starter would cost us Randy Wolf type money.

Look at the Brewers minor league system. We have plenty of bats in the system that could replace a departed Gamel (Taylor Green, for example)

We have zero major league ready pitchers in the minors to help for this year or next.

Zero.

This year there is Butler and Rodgers as possibilities to help out this year. Next year obviously Rodgers, Butler, Braddock (could even help this year), and Arnett (depending on how aggressive the Brewers promote him). It all depends on the seasons these guys have some are not #1's, 2's, or even 3's but are #4's and #5 types of pitchers. There isn't zero there are a few that are ready to contribute to the team. If you want help with the bullpen the Brewers have a lot of options to consider for help there in the minors. There is Braddock, Rodgers, Axford, Butler, and many others that can come up and help the Brewers. Remember Morrow was tried as a closer and a reliever last year that has to put up some question marks if he truly can be a starting pitcher.

Morrow is better than Rodgers and Butler but it is not like Morrow is an ace to be. I really do not see the love affair that everyone has for Morrow yes he is good but he is not that good. I would put Morrow on the same level as Rogers and Butler maybe a little bit higher than those two but not much higher. I don't see Morrow as being a #1 or a #2 type of a pitcher more like a #3 type of a pitcher and maybe a #4 type of a pitcher which is right where Rodgers and Butler are at.

Guys, for whatever it's worth, I e-mailed Tom Haudricourt about this rumor earlier today. He responded and downplayed it quite a bit, saying the Mariners aren't keen to trade Morrow at all. So I guess we shouldn't hold our breaths for a move involving him.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If I'm the Mariners, I'm looking at adding a middle of the order bat, but until the FA crop dries up, why trade a good young pitcher to get one?

For that matter any team that would have interest in either a Hart or a Gamel, is probably going to wait until the FA hitters are gone before trading a pitcher.

I would love to acquire a young pitcher like Morrow, which is exactly why it won't happen.

You need to start hating the thought of the Brewers trading for Tim Lincecum!

Yes I could reverse jinx myself!

I know Morrow isn't sure a thing, very few young pitchers are, but he has "stuff". He might never be better than average on the whole, but I'd rather take my shots with players who have room to grow vs fading pitchers in their mid 30s. Some prefer the security of an established pitcher, I'm the opposite, I'm interested in raw talent and a dirty word on these forums in "makeup". I believe in the intangibles...and I think players like Morrow and Parra can move towards a Dave Bush mentality on the mound, but Bushy will never have their talent. Maybe Bush ends up a better starting pitcher than both, but he's all he's ever going to be, solid yet unspectacular. I'd prefer a couple of guys who have the potential to headline a rotation.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Guys, for whatever it's worth, I e-mailed Tom Haudricourt about this rumor earlier today. He responded and downplayed it quite a bit, saying the Mariners aren't keen to trade Morrow at all. So I guess we shouldn't hold our breaths for a move involving him.

I'm not necessarily questioning the actual truth to this, but do you remember how TH responded to the person in his blog that said Randy Wolf was close to signing a 3-year, $27 million dollar deal with the Brewers a few days before the rumblings actually surfaced in the media? I seem to remember a Santa Claus reference.

He's pretty good at downplaying rumors, because 99% of the time he's going to be right. Just wait until he asks Doug Melvin about this and he'll respond by saying either "we don't currently have any active trade discussions," or "I haven't spoke to (Zduriencik) in three weeks."

I'm sure the Mariners would want Mat Gamel in return, as they definitely have a need for corner impact bats. If you asked Doug Melvin about that I'm sure he would tell you that he's not keen to deal him either http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

I'm luke-warm on Morrow. I know the Brewers tried to get him for Hardy, of which the Ms obviously passed, but Gamel has the whole pre-arby thing going for him and may overall be a better fit. But I'm not too confident Morrow will ever put it together, at least not to be a starter.

Well, I think your last sentence sums it up nicely, colby. If he's not going to be a starter, what's the point? Our bullpen is pretty stacked. I'd rather save the few trade chips we may have for a starting pitching deal...not expend them on a guy who sounds like a spot starter at best.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

YUCK!, Morrow seems to be a guy that will never mature into a productive player. Maybe im bias but IMO Gamel is going to be very good (1+ all star appearances), the only way I would be ok with losing him is for a young proven with 2+ years left on his contract i.e. Josh Johnson type.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of a Morrow-Gamel swap. Morrow has lots of potential, but only has 3 more years of team control vs. 6 years of Gamel. I wouldn't be terribly upset with a deal like this, but I think I prefer Gamel right now.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of a Morrow-Gamel swap. Morrow has lots of potential, but only has 3 more years of team control vs. 6 years of Gamel. I wouldn't be terribly upset with a deal like this, but I think I prefer Gamel right now.

where do you get this number from? He's spent time in the minors each of the last two seasons, so I'd think he's somewhere around 2.6 years of service time, leaving him with 4 more where he's under team control. Your concerns about service time are legitimate, but I think I'd pull the trigger on Gamel for Morrow.

where do you get this number from? He's spent time in the minors each of the last two seasons, so I'd think he's somewhere around 2.6 years of service time, leaving him with 4 more where he's under team control. Your concerns about service time are legitimate, but I think I'd pull the trigger on Gamel for Morrow.

According to Rotoworld his arbitration years are 2010-2012.

I guess the M's are swapping Silva with the Cubs for Bradley. They probably will want to hang to Morrow now.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

According to Rotoworld his arbitration years are 2010-2012.

I stand corrected. For the record, i hope i didn't come off as snarky, I was sincerely curious where you got that from.

I guess the M's are swapping Silva with the Cubs for Bradley. They probably will want to hang to Morrow now.

How does Jack Z. keep doing these ridiculous trades? Carlos Silva is pure garbage, and he got a productive hitter for him.

However on the other issue, Ken Rosenthal is speculating that the M's are actually trying to trade Morrow and specifically mentions the Brewers and Mat Gamel. Heres the link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/121409-Latest-MLB-buzz

I'm really into Morrow's upside, but Peterson better be a hell of a coach because the season would largely depend on Morrow and Parra putting it together. I'm not a fan of trading Gamel at all, he has the potential to be a special hitter and I believe he gets a bum wrap around here from some. I'd probably make the deal though as the organization seems to favor McGehee for whatever reason, and no I don't really want to turn this into another Gamel vs McGehee debate, I was merely making an observation. It's too bad DM has put himself in this corner, everyone knows the Brewers need to deal for pitching which certainly doesn't strengthen his position in negotiations.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived