Brewer Fanatic

mariners' brandon morrow targeted by brewers?

from 12:14 am posting from fox sports . . .

The Mariners, who remain active on multiple fronts, are discussing a trade that would send right-hander Brandon Morrow to the Brewers, according to major-league sources.

However, the deal appears unlikely due to the reluctance of Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik to move Morrow, one source said.

It is known what the Mariners want in return for Morrow, whom the Brewers would add to a revamped rotation that has been bolstered by the addition of free-agent Randy Wolf.

any insight as to whom and/or what the mariners want?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather go Gamel and another minor leaguer and just keep Hart. We already sold low on Hardy, Melvin would be wise to at least hold onto Hart until the trading deadline unless he gets another RF back in the trade.

I like Morrow but he is no where close to a sure thing. Since we have McGehee and Counsell back to play 3rd I think Gamel is expendable. I think Gamel and and a prospect in the 15-20 range (Gindl or Scarpetta come to mind) would be enough. Mat would be a pretty solid DH candidate for Seattle.

I'd be very excited to see the Brewers get Morrow, he is definitely a great buy low candidate. I'd love to see a hard thrower like him in our rotation. I think a change of scenery might do him a lot of good.

As for who it would take to get him? I could see Hart being traded to Seattle, or maybe a group of prospects since so many were traded away in the Lee deal. Either way I hope that Melvin gets this done.

I would trade Hart and Salome for Morrow. And then I'd move Gamel to RF. Salome could be a C/DH option for Seattle (splitting time at C with prospect Adam Moore), Hart would be an upgrade in LF for Seattle.
I like that idea a lot more. I could see the Mariners going for that. Big hitting catching prospects are pretty rare, but we have two, so I'd rather deal from a position of excess. Plus we'd still have McGehee and could possibly slide him to 1B if we're forced to trade Fielder in the near future, as a stop gap measure.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Morrow's rather capped given his poor FB ratio, something unlikely to improve without adding a new pitch. So even if he drops his BB/9 rate, I tend to see him max out as an inconsistent 4.00 ERA pitcher, fluctuating as his HR/FB blows in the wind.

Now that's not a bad ceiling at all, though I would think (and hope) we could get him without Gamel. I'd think Salome and Hart (if they don't get Bay) or another prospect could be enough.

I'm reading now about how Morrow was diagnosed with diabetes and may be relegated to being a reliever now? If that's true, then what's really the point in trading for him? I know he did start some games late in the season for Seattle, so I'm not sure what the real answer is.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm reading now about how Morrow was diagnosed with diabetes and may be relegated to being a reliever now? If that's true, then what's really the point in trading for him? I know he did start some games late in the season for Seattle, so I'm not sure what the real answer is.
Yeah, we should be convinced he can start before we offer anything substantial for him. He still has strong value as a reliever, but the price should drop.

I think acquiring Morrow would be a huge roll of the dice if he could become a decent starting pitcher. There's no way I would trade Gamel for such a gamble. If I'm trading away my top prospect, I'd want a better guarantee of results from the return.

So even if he drops his BB/9 rate, I tend to see him max out as an inconsistent 4.00 ERA pitcher.
Which as you mentioned, is nothing to scoff at. If Morrow could become a guy who puts up an ERA around 4.00 every year, he's going to be the Brewers' 2nd or 3rd best pitcher, and will make a lot of money as a free agent in about 4 years if he stays healthy. Replacing Suppan's innings with Morrow's innings makes the Brewers a much better team now and in the future if Morrow fulfills his promise. As a hard thrower, I think he's a perfect guy to work with Peterson.

The thing about him to me is not the ERA, it's the innings. Will his diabetes allow him to throw anywhere close to 200 innings if he's otherwise healthy? If he can start, I believe he's definitely worth Gamel. If he's limited to relief, of course no way. FWIW, he pitched 125 innings last year.

Just for kicks, here are some projections:

Bill James: 135 IP, 3.93 ERA

CHONE: 63 IP, 3.71 ERA

Fangraphs fans: 138 IP, 4.06 ERA

Even if we only get 140 innings out of him, that's about what people were going to expect from Rich Harden, and we'd have the guy pretty cheap for a few years, very much unlike Harden.

Big hitting catching prospects are pretty rare, but we have two, so I'd rather deal from a position of excess.
I could not disagree more. If one looks at the dregs that the Brewers have had catching for them over the years, it makes it clear how terrible catchers on the whole are. I would never trade a catching prospect that actually had a chance to be a good major league hitter. Let them pan out in the majors first and if your team still has an excess of catching, then make a trade. A young catcher who has shown he can hit in the majors and has 4-5 years of service time left is very valuable. That way a team doesn't make the mistake of trading a guy who can play and keeping a guy who can't, thus sentencing them to more years of terrible catching. There's no other position where it's so hard to find a good player.

I'd really would like to add Morrow too. I don't want to belittle a health concern, but would diabetes really prohibit him from starting? I don't know much about the disease. Maybe somebody can shed some light. I just assume he's been pitching/competing in sports with the disease for most of his life, or is it something he was just recently diagnosed with?

Yes, he's far from a sure thing, however, that's the same reason why he might still be attainable. I'd don't want to lose Gamel, but if it took him to get a young pitcher with a large amount of upside like Morrow then I'd say it's worth the risk. As good a prospect as Gamel is he won't bring back an established good young pitcher. At this point it's kind of a wasted resource to keep Gamel in the minors.

He has known about it since High school. He isnt the first pitcher with Diabetes and will not be the last.

David Wells and Catfish Hunter managed okay with it.

However - as read in this article, Morrow personally struggled with it and the move to the BP was voluntary. I agree that this might lower the cost for him and think that my original idea of Gamel and Hart was way too much. Perhaps just Hart and a prospect might get it done. Id still like to add the guy - arms and talent like this do not come around.

I would love to acquire a young pitcher like Morrow, which is exactly why it won't happen.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived