Brewer Fanatic

"Don't Expect Another Big Signing"

The Truth
I'm not a big fan of the Hawkins signing but he probably cost $3 mil over the alternatives. I can't see Melvin having almost any money left to spend ($1-$2 MIL?). Another good starter was never in the cards.
To go slightly off-topic, as long as we're throwing around possible uses for that money given to Hawkins, I would have preferred Melvin set it aside as possible salary for Felipe Lopez, offer Lopez arbitration, and then if Lopez declines, sign whatever random middle reliever Melvin pleases.

What does it even mean to be a "legit world series team"ace? Like one of the top 3 starting pitchers in the NL? According to CHONE, Yo projects to be the 6th best ace in the NL. If that's not good enough to be considered a true ace than I think the label is basically meaningless.

I guess the Giants are the only team that have a true ace... looking forward to seeing them in the World Series next year. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

An ace needs to pitch well, ideally in the top 30. A true ace for a legit WS team would need to pitch well for 200+ innings (220+ would be ideal). I don't think that Yo is there yet, which is why I said he isn't an ace yet.

Also, where are you getting your CHONE projections from? Chone here has him pitching 3.6 ERA with only 145 IP. Not sure why it is so low. Bill James has him going 186 IP with a 3.53 ERA. I expect him to pitch a little more than that, but it still doesn't sound like he is going to carry us through the stretch run and deep into the playoffs to me.

Yeah, "legit World Series ace" isn't exactly a great description. I want the Brewers to contend for a title like any fan. When I see Carpenter on the Cards, Halladay on the Phillies, Sabathia on the Yankees, Lackey on the Red Sox, I don't see Gallardo stacking up well against those pitchers. Makes it tough to imagine the Crew winning game 1 of a series vs Philadelphia or St Louis. I do think Gallardo has the potential to be that good, but so far he hasn't been

A (much) bigger concern is how our curent #2, Wolf, stacks up against those teams' #2 pitchers. And then our #3 is potentially a disaster vs those teams #3's... none of it stacks up all that well

Yeah, "legit World Series ace" isn't exactly a great description. I want the Brewers to contend for a title like any fan. When I see Carpenter on the Cards, Halladay on the Phillies, Sabathia on the Yankees, Lackey on the Red Sox, I don't see Gallardo stacking up well against those pitchers. Makes it tough to imagine the Crew winning game 1 of a series vs Philadelphia or St Louis. I do think Gallardo has the potential to be that good, but so far he hasn't been

A (much) bigger concern is how our curent #2, Wolf, stacks up against those teams' #2 pitchers. And then our #3 is potentially a disaster vs those teams #3's... none of it stacks up all that well

I think that Gallardo would give the Brewers a shot to win in any game he pitches no matter who he faces. He's that good.

I personall feel this Brewers team wont contend for a WS till there young pitching makes it to the majors. Thats a couple years away. It may be sooner if Braddock can stay healthy, and Rogers gets his act together and also is able to stay healthy. Right now it's hard for me to say this Brewers team is a contender with so many question marks. To many things have to go right on both sides of the ball. Doug Melvin hasn't sold me.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

The only reason I think they are a contender is because I think it is a weak division. The Cards are relying on a pair of pitchers who have a lot of injury question marks and the Cubs just don't seem that good. The rest of the teams in the division look to be weak or at best .500 style teams.

The only reason I think they are a contender is because I think it is a weak division. The Cards are relying on a pair of pitchers who have a lot of injury question marks and the Cubs just don't seem that good. The rest of the teams in the division look to be weak or at best .500 style teams.

The Cards have a 5 year deal out to Holliday. I see the Cards as the team that is in the way of the Brewers getting to the playoffs or winning the division. I also think that the Cardinals had a lot go right in 2009, especially with their pitching. I'm not so sure that will happen again in 2010. There are a lot of question marks on both teams. I just don't know. I like what the Brewers are doing with their offense, though. Going young and all. That should make the team fun to watch.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Archived