Brewer Fanatic

2010 Pitching Projections

filthyfrog

I know there are many savvy minds here who can do a more comprehensive effort than this, but I thought I'd throw together a quick and dirty comparison of our starting rotation as currently configured for 2010 against the abomination that was 2009's rotation.

Here are Bill James's projections followed by the 2009 totals. I used Bill James because it's easily available on Fangraphs.

SP W L ERA GS IP H HR BB SO ER
Wolf 12 10 3.87 34 200 191 24 67 159 86
Gallardo 12 8 3.53 31 186 157 17 84 205 73
Parra 7 9 4.59 28 147 158 13 67 130 75
Bush 6 6 4.29 20 107 112 16 27 74 51
Suppan 7 10 5.09 28 152 175 20 54 81 86

2010* 44 43 4.22 141 792 933 90 299 389 371

2009 55 59 5.37 162 891 999 145 381 658 532

Obviously, the 2010 projections are missing 21 starts, which would presumably be picked up by replacement starters and would probably make the numbers less appealing. And I'm assuming the incumbents will retain their spots in the rotation, although that's far from a safe assumption.

I know Bill James is usually very optimistic for hitters, but this looks like extreme optimism for pitchers as well, which doesn't seem to make sense. I'd say this is pretty much the absolute best we could hope for and I'd be shocked if Bush, Parra, and Suppan put up those ERAs. A 4.22 ERA, by the way, would have been 7th in the NL in '09.

Another oddity is the 107 projected IP for Bush. Other than last year, he's been extremely durable, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.

What do you think? Are these projections reasonable? If so, has Melvin done enough to improve the rotation? Do other projection systems differ dramatically from Bill James? Discuss...

I think all those projections are at least a little optimistic other than Parra. I would have put all of them at least 0.25 higher except maybe Parra. Yeah the 107 innings for Bush also seems really low.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'd take the under on Suppan most likely. The over on Wolf. Bush and Parra are too much of a wild card. I mean Bush can easily put up an ERA under 4.29 but he has shown he can easily put up a 5 too.

Chone projections can be found here... http://www.baseballprojection.com/2010/MIL2010p.htm

Wolf - 164 IP of 4.17 ERA

Gallardo - 145 IP of 3.60 ERA

Parra - 159 IP of 4.75 ERA

Bush - 161 IP of 4.64 ERA

Suppan - 170 IP of 5.24 ERA

Little bit more pessimistic obviously. I'd guess that comes out to like a 4.55 or so when you average it out, but I didn't do the math.

I think all those projections are at least a little optimistic other than Parra. I would have put all of them at least 0.25 higher except maybe Parra. Yeah the 107 innings for Bush also seems really low.

James's projections are notoriously the most optimistic of the main systems. I know he has his own thread in the Transactions Forum, but one reason I like the idea of trading for SD's Kevin Correia is that you'd drop a 5-ish ERA in Soup to add a guy that projects quite similarly to Dave Bush.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think James' projections are crazy. CHONE looks much more reasonable:

Wolf - 164 IP of 4.17 ERA

Gallardo - 145 IP of 3.60 ERA

Parra - 159 IP of 4.75 ERA

Bush - 161 IP of 4.64 ERA

Suppan - 170 IP of 5.24 ERA

#6 starter - 165 IP of 5.5 ERA

Average: 4.65 ERA

Much better than last year but still well below average:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/127/league/nl

Replace the #6 starter with someone like Davis (4.6ish ERA) and you still only get a 4.5 ERA out of the starters. A couple of these guys are going to have to surprise to make the Brewers legitimate playoff contenders.

Why would Gallardo be projected at only 145 innings in those CHONE numbers? Seems that if one is going to adjust Bush upward to account for injury last year why adjust Gallardo down when he is another year removed from injury and another year older on adding to his workload buildup.

Clearly, Parra is the big wildcard here. I feel pretty comfortable with those CHONE projections (moreso than James' anyway), but Parra's projection is a huge crapshoot. He has the stuff and upside to be a nice #3 behind Yo/Wolf, or he could end up in AAA again. As a rookie, he tossed 166 IP with a 4.39 ERA (3.85 xFIP). Terrific rookie season. Then in year 2 every single peripheral regresses. I mean, who is he? I think his success (or lack thereof) will play a crucial part in our season. Personally, I'd take those rookie year numbers again.

Even Chone shows 72 runs saved, which is 7 wins, which is 87 wins. Improved pitching makes this team a contender.

Ceteris Paribus? When proper team projections start rolling out, I think we are going to see them predicting closer to 83 wins for the Brewers. The offense has been downgraded and we can't presume continued good fortune in the pythag. record area. The Brewers need some combination of Hart, Gamel/McGehee, Parra and Suppan to beat their projections. Perhaps a darkhorse starting pitcher to be found.

Suppan had a 4.75 ERA with a couple starts left, so he could have easily finished there. Many guys would have just shut down, like Bush did.
Bush took a hard shot off of his pitching elbow and he tried to work through it. I say give the guy some slack on that alone. Seeing that video just makes me wince
Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I was doing some quick numbers on Suppan the other day. I don't know what I did with the paper I was scribbling on, but if you take away his worst 5 starts (ERA wise) his ERA for the year drops to something like 3.80. If you take away his 3 worst starts it drops to 4.6ish. Now, I know you could do this with a lot of pitchers but I still thought the 3.80 number was a pretty dramatic change. What I did notice is that his whip remians very similar no matter how many starts you take away. I think his whip went to 1.59 when you removed his 5 worst starts.

He also had an ERA of about 3.75 in his starts from April 19 to July 17. (98 total innings)

If you take away his one worse start of the year (July 27), his ERA drops to 4.89.

Not trying to make any excuses for the guy, just throwing the numbers out there. What's odd about his game log last year is the distribution of the 5 worst starts that I used. It was his first 2 starts, his last two starts (not including the last game where he pitched 2 innings), and one start in July.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Why would Gallardo be projected at only 145 innings in those CHONE numbers?

I think the people who run projections would like to run them without IP if they wouldn't get ripped to shreds for doing so. It would be far too difficult for the people who do these to build a system that knows every pitchers injury history and include that in their projections.

So the projection sees Gallardo with 110 IP in the majors in 2007 and 24 IP in 2008 and spits out a number that isn't realistic. I would imagine it would also know the IP in the minor leagues.

Then again, there is I think some evidence that injury prone players exist, and while we shouldn't assume that Gallardo is injury prone, how does one build a system to judge that?

Archived