Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo.

Ok so you should NOT trade young arms. But we have an amazing pitching rotation if we sign Schmidt.

1. Sheets

2. Cappy

3. Davis

4. Bush

5. C-VIL

and thats without an add, thats a above average rotation. Will Inman will be ready, and POSSIBLY could be a little better then Gallardo. So the questions are:

1) Do you trade Gallardo? If so who?

or

2) Do you have an AMAZING rotation in a few years. Inman, Gallardo, Villanueva?

2) Do you have an AMAZING rotation in a few years. Inman, Gallardo, Villanueva?

This is the rotation I'm salivating over in three years:

Sheets

Gallardo

Bush

Inman

Villanueva

1) Do you trade Gallardo? If so who?

It would have to be something pretty damn good, young, and inexpensive. Crawford fits pretty nicely, but I'm not sure even he would be enough for me to think "great trade"

A trade always depends upon the return. If someone wanted to shed a young, great player with a couple years left before free agency, you trade your top prospects. If you're in the hunt in July and see a guy that's the piece to push you over the top, you make the deal. However, there isn't likely to be a team right now in salary dumping mode with a great young player to trade, and deadline talk is irrelevant in November.

All that said, I don't think anyone will offer the Brewers what they feel Gallardo is worth. Inman is much more likely to be offered in a trade since he's less advanced.

Quote:
Crawford fits pretty nicely, but I'm not sure even he would be enough for me to think "great trade"

Make the Rays add Kazmir. That's a great trade...for us, not them but who cares about them?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think Gallardo is great, and I'd like to see the brewers hold onto him...

but:

If you really believe that this is the rbewers only window to compete in the next 5 years (I don't) then a trade should be a realistic possibility...If the brewers were willing to trade a couple of their top prospects for other teams stars, they could easily make a run this year...I honestly think they are gonna make a run at 85+ wins either way, but gallardo could net something big for the brewers...

either way, he's a stud

Quote:
I doubt C-Vil will be amazing

I don't think the Brewers plan on him being amazing. I think a 4.4-4.6 ERA is what they would want from him as a rookie. I think they may try to get another proven starter too and have Villanueva in AAA or in the bullpen as the 6th starter.

I don't understand why nobody has confidence in Villanueva.

What did he do in his 53 innings last year in the majors and his 66 innings at AAA (where he was 7-1 2.71, .182 BAA) to make anyone think he's not ready to pitch in the rotation for the Brewers starting off 2007?

There have been countless guys in Brewer history who have accomplished a lot less at older ages than Villanueva has at 23 who everyone has eargerly annointed as starters. Heck Davis was off the scrap heap. Capuano was viewed as expendable by pitching starved Arizona. Yet nobody batted an eye when either of those guys stepped into the Brewer rotation.

Yes I know he doesn't throw in the mid 90's. He didn't throw in the mid 90's last year either when he was getting major leaguers out. Capuano doesn't throw above 87 either.

Personally, I have a lot more confidence that Villanueva will keep the Brewers in a game than I do with Doug Davis walking the stadium.

I wouldn't say that we have no confidence in Carlos, instead there is little reason to believe he'll ever be anything special. Of course being able to just find a league average starter out of the minors is a huge boon as an organization. By the same token if Carlos starts to struggle or people get a little scouting report on him it's easy to imagine him looking very unimpressive very fast.

This may of been posted.....its a bit older...

In the link above they mention some of the prospects being mentioned with Carl Crawford and then they go on to mention the Devil Rays may be dangling Young and I would trade Gallardo and more to land him.....If a top pitching prospect is all it takes to get CC then I hope DM is at least exploring that option and trying to get something done, hopefull something not involving Yo or Inman.

Eveland, ZJ, and Rogers are all pretty good prospects and should be able to get a good return if we do go that route.

Archived