Brewer Fanatic

Jonny Gomes Non Tendered By The Reds

Minigoon

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Gomes hit righties well last year (.859 OPS), but in all honesty, it's probably an aberration. The previous three years he hit righties to a tune of .648, .731, .595 OPS. He kills lefties - always has. As a fielder, he gets pretty bad ratings from Fangraphs. I'd pass unless it was cheap. I just don't trust him to repeat last year.

The Brewers could certainly use Gomes whether Hart is traded or not. He certainly sticks out at the best RH bat out there below the top tier of Bay and Holliday and the middle tier of Cameron, Nady and Byrd.

The Brewers could use a RH bench bat. Beyond Gomes, the OF pickings are guys like Reed Johnson, Rocco Baldelli, Jerry Hairston Jr., Marcus Thames, Randy Winn (switch hitter). I don't see the Brewers with a lot in their budget ($2 million maybe?) for one additional bench bat, so Gomes is probably beyond their reach unless they clear salary in a deal. Too bad Murton went to Japan. He was the perfect fit.

Garko's not a terrible idea either as they might get better value out of a 3B/1B type and with Counsell back, the two main backup IF candidates (assuming Gamel's ticketed for Nashville), Iribarren and Heether can both serve as 5th OF.

I've thought Reed Johnson was a good fit for a while. Interesting idea about keeping an extra IF since Hernan and Adam can play OF somewhat. I'd like at least one guy who can be a legit HR threat off the bench, and to me, a RH 1B/LF type would be a match.

Archived