Brewer Fanatic

Any chance of stopping the constant comparisons to Suppan?

BREWCREW5
Don't get me started on past big money contracts that have hurt too, but for different reasons, Sheets, Higuera, etc. Whom else am I missing? Oh yeah, Riske...(pronounced Risky).
The Riske deal was very questionable at the time as well. Just when I thought we had dodged the bullet with Linebrink. Probably for that reason, I'm O.K. with the Hawkins pickup, as that he has a better track record than Riske, was cheaper, and for only 2 years. That said, I don't want to see him as the closer, as he's tended to fold like a cheap suit in that role.

Please explain how the Sheets' contract hurt.
Personally, I don't think the Sheets contact hurt one bit, except for the fact that he was injured. His contract falls in the Larry Hisle/Teddy Higuera category, where things would have likely worked out nicely had the injuries not occurred.

I still would like to know the circumstances behind the Sheets 'situation' as it currently stands. Is the team upset with him, or is he upset with the team? If he is the one that has the problem, that's a little disappointing, because you would think that he may feel some loyalty to the team after receiving the big contract and missing a big chunk of time with injuries. All I know is that it would be great to have him in the rotation, even at 85% of what he was.

I still would like to know the circumstances behind the Sheets 'situation' as it currently stands.
Take this for what it's worth, but a friend of mine ran into Sheets during last year's free agency period in New Orleans and he was not all that enthused with the Brewers. Granted, this was all before he was set to sign with Texas and he flunked his physical, but I'm pretty sure it was a matter of Ben just wanting to move on.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How would you define it? My dictionary says "of moderate quality", and then defines moderate as "average in amount, intensity, quality".
Thanks. I didn't think to check a dictionary.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Rock Co. explained it for me. There's a long list of pitchers who got signed to big money, only to see them either not perform well and/or have serious injuries. Sheets, Higuera, and Riske were at the top of my head. I think the Brewers have been snakebit for the last couple decades that way.

I just think the Brewers have had more than their fair share of bad luck compared to many other teams.

Let's also include high draft picks into this category.

Archived