Brewer Fanatic

RP Rafael Soriano traded to TB for RP Jesse Chavez

TooLiveBrew

Link

That's right, all it took to bring on one of the best relievers in the game (career 3.31 FIP), was Jesse Chavez (4.79 career FIP, for comparison). I can't say I'm not very disappointed in Melvin's lack of action on this one. Soriano, while pricier, would have been a much better addition than Hawkins. Sometimes I envy Rays fans... Friedman really seems to be a very good GM.

Chavez isn't a bum by any stretch, but by comparison I have to think Atlanta would've jumped at the offer of Hart (& probably included a prospect or something extra).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That's right, all it took to bring on one of the best relievers in the game (career 3.31 FIP), was Jesse Chavez (4.79 career FIP, for comparison).

You havbe to look at his projected salary as well. Isn't Soriano going to roughly get whatever his FA value was in previous year? That's the whole idea of post arby arbitration (must eb a better way to say that), isn't it? Look for comparisons from recent years, adjust for inflation and pay the man. If other teams are going to be paying 70 cents on the dollar for FA this off season, arby guys are going to make out. That may be why so few teams offered arby this year.

Soriano probably had negative trade value.

Yea, just like in basketball, often trades are as much about trading contract situations as it is trading talent for talent. Tampa felt ok assuming the money Soriano will get, Atlanta didn't so they got whatever they could for him instead of just letting him go for nothing.

The irony here is, this is exactly why you don't offer a guy arby if you can't afford him. The nerds on the various sites act like teams never get stuck with a guy, yet it can easily occur. ATL probably wasn't too far from having to cut him before the guarantee date in March (and pay him 1/6th of his salary) or hope he stays healthy and deal him in the season.

The irony here is, this is exactly why you don't offer a guy arby if you can't afford him. The nerds on the various sites act like teams never get stuck with a guy, yet it can easily occur. ATL probably wasn't too far from having to cut him before the guarantee date in March (and pay him 1/6th of his salary) or hope he stays healthy and deal him in the season.

You're using the fact that the worst-case scenario did happen-- he accepted, and they still were easily able to dump him-- to support your view that the Brewers shouldn't have done the same with one of their free agents? The Braves risked the chance that he would accept, he did, and they traded him for basically nothing. Not exactly sure how this is an example of "irony". Sincerely, a nerd on another site.

Atlanta still ended up with Jesse Chavez. It is not two picks, but it is still something. I wonder if they would have rather taken their chances and waited until Soriano decided to accept or decline arbitration than sign Wagner so quickly.

Archived