Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Lee an Astro?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing....he could actually get 6 years/$85-90m. He and his agent must be wetting their pants due to the competition for his services. And they better send Soriano and Ramirez thank you Christmas cards this year....

Guess that explains why 4/$48 wasn't quite adequate, huh?

Can you imagine how big and slow he'll be when he's 35 and 36 years old still hauling down $13 - $15m each of those years?

More power to Mr. Lee if he can actually get the huge deal....

Brett, where do you get the AL info from, or is that humor? I have never heard that.

It was a poor attempt at humor. Since Lee would be nothing more than a DH in a couple years, Houston must be thinking they're moving to the AL to offer him a 6 year deal.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...index.html

What the hell are the Phillies doing? According the link above they may "blow everyone out of the water" in their bid for Lee because they need to find someone to protect Howard.

Isnt this the same team that just gave away Bobby Abreu, who is arguably a BETTER player than Lee and WONT be a DH in 2-3 years?

How do these GMs keep their jobs?

And to quote from the middle of the article posted above...."But an executive with one of Lee's apparent top three choices swears they will bow out before bidding reaches $100 million. So fiscal insanity apparently has its limits."

Maybe I was underestimating when I said 6 year / $85-90 mil !!! Do I hear 7 year / $100 mil? At least it would average less than $15m/year!!....his agent says with a straight face.....

Could he actually get 9 figures???

There are some very intelligent people on this board, which is probably why none of them are baseball owners (that I know of!). I'm trying to figure out how this works out if you're the CFO, or its equivalent, of a baseball team. How does the risk/reward ratio work out? You pay $100M, to get what reward? What's a World Series worth on the balance sheet? I remember Guizenga(?) back in '97, when the Marlins won their first WS, and he said it wasn't worth what he invested, and began divesting himself of said investments. Of course, he wasn't in it for the long haul, either -- a true baseball owner isn't in it for money, right?

Archived