Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Lee an Astro?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They made offers to both Lee and Soriano on Thursday, so I won't be surprised to see them land one or the other.

EDIT: The article basically says "folks around baseball" feel that the Astros have the inside track on signing Lee.

(Moved to the rumors forum as it isn't official yet)

I've heard this too, and not just from ESPN. The lineup that goes from Lance Berkman (career OBP = .416, OPS = .983) to Carlos Lee (avg. 115 RBI past two seasons) makes me crap my pants. Add in Biggio, Ensberg, and Taveras, and suddenly the Astros don't struggle to score runs, they thrive upon doing so.

And those damn Crawford Boxes!!! WHY?!?!

EDIT: Yeah, that word is not allowed. -PF

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sorry guys, I've always loved the nickname for the Astros, I didn't even look at it as vulgar. I just really hate the Crawford Boxes. I didn't recognize being out of line, sorry!

p.s. -- the reason I didn't hesitate is that when i've typed things in line with these before, they were automatically cartoon-swear-ized. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

This is not meant to be antagonizing, but there were so many posts this summer about Lee not being a super star, being a "good not great" player ... I think the concept of "don't know what you got 'til it's gone" is really going to rear its ugly head next year if he lands in the NL Central. I mean, I obviously hope he goes 0 for the season against the Crew, but I can easily envision a .400 average, 5-7 HRs, and a heck of a lot of walks against us in 2007. He is a force in the middle of the order; I still wish he was in the middle of ours.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Carlos is a solid hitter, and the Brewers could use him, but I'm glad Milwaukee's not the team giving him what he's about to get.

Houston would be a good fit for Carlos, small field for his weakish D, short porch in left for his swing. His agent read the market correctly, Milwaukee took their shot, he's gone.

It would amuse me to no end if Pettitte and Clemens both retired now.

I referenced those guys in terms of a full lineup. Taveras brings incredible speed, and Biggio will surpass 3,000 hits this season - on his way to the HOF. Ensberg can hit, and the notion that that offense is a joke is just ridiculous!

Houston is a big spender, and can easily add a decent RF hitter (Trot Nixon would probably come cheap, for example). Everett's & Ausmus's D clearly compensate for any offensive shortcomings.

Having a duo like Berkman & Lee puts the Astros O in another category. It's so important to put together at least two stud big-time run producers. BoSux, Yanks, Cards, Mets, White Sox, and Jays (w/Thomas) all qualify, and all are serious 2007 playoff teams. I know there's more to baseball than two guys, but when those two are as strong of run producers as Lee & Berkman, that's an advantage that clearly only a handful of teams possess

Having a duo like Berkman & Lee puts the Astros O in another category. It's so important to put together at least two stud big-time run producers. BoSux, Yanks, Cards, Mets, White Sox, and Jays (w/Thomas) all qualify, and all are serious 2007 playoff teams.

I think Berkman, Lee, and Ensburg are all good hitters. But Berkman is the only one who could be put in the Ortiz, Ramirez, Rodriguez, Pujols, ect. category.

Taveras brings incredible speed, and Biggio will surpass 3,000 hits this season.

Just because Biggio had a great career doesn't mean he's good now. He had a .728 OPS last year and an 83 OPS+. And Taveras may have speed, but he's not on base very much to show it off. Add in his .340 SLG and is isn't an asset to a team either.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Could Carlos be a $90 or even $100 million man?

Now with Soriano off the market, someone may freak out and offer Carlos 6 years at $15 million per. Would they be insane to 7 years? Or six years and $16 million? I don't think it's out of the question. The Orioles are the ones who could do that, since they know they can eventually move him to DH. I doubt Houston would go that high or that long.

But then who thought Soriano would get eight years. Never know.

ESPN is reporting that Baltimore is now competing with Houston for Carlos Lee.

If i am Lee i would rather play for the Astros. But Baltimore if i remember is a pretty good hitters park. But he would explode in Houston and as I have stated before he would not have to cover that much ground in houston.

In evaluating the Astro lineup, I don't think you can overlook Luke Scott (1.047 OPS in 214 AB) and Chris Burke who can play either 2nd or CF with decent pop for those positions.

As for pitching, the Astros are actively looking for starters and given their history, I'd be surprised if they don't find a couple.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
In evaluating the Astro lineup, I don't think you can overlook Luke Scott (1.047 OPS in 214 AB) and Chris Burke who can play either 2nd or CF with decent pop for those positions.

As for pitching, the Astros are actively looking for starters and given their history, I'd be surprised if they don't find a couple.

I read the Rockies were interested in your man Burke. If Jennings is really being shopped, he could be a key part of the package.

Did anyone else hear Tim Purpura crap his pants when he saw the numbers on that Soriano deal? Savvy move by the Cubbies (maybe, maybe just the coincidental impact of overspending), who have now either priced their divisional rivals out of a slugger, or made them break the bank to land him.

Here's another thought. I know there are no rumors on this, but please consider. A lot of talk out of NYY circles is that Matsui should play 1B in 2007. With the game-changing amount of Soriano's deal, I personally do not count the Yankees out of contention, even if they aren't 'rumored'

Archived